A Collegiette’s Guide to Decking the Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As everyone who lives on residence knows, there isn’t a whole lot of space to decorate your room for the holidays. This holiday season, make the most out of the minimal space that you do have and create the most festive dorm room on campus with these Pinterest-inspired ideas.

1. Alternative Christmas Tree

Let’s face it: If you’re living in a dorm-style room, there probably isn’t much room for a real Christmas tree. Not to worry though, there are ways you can add that holiday flare without taking up valuable living space. To add a makeshift Christmas tree, simply tape Christmas lights to your wall in the shape of a tree.

2. Mini-Fridge Snowman

If you have a Coldex fridge in your room, you can easily transform it into a snowman. If you have a white one, accessorize him with some construction paper snowman gear and a face. If you have a black one, simply cover it with white wrapping paper or some other sort of white paper, and use the same idea as the white one.

3. Window Decor
If you want to spruce up your windows, you can hang ornaments from the curtain rod using clear string. Hang them at various lengths so that it adds some flare. You can also add garland and a ribbon like in the picture. If you don’t want to buy ornaments, you can go for the easier option of window stickers, available at any dollar store.

4. DIY Advent Calendar

For those who enjoy the countdown to the big day, consider making your own advent calendar and filling it with your favourite holiday snacks, or activities you’d like to do this December. First you’ll need either a canvas or a piece of poster board, either of which you can cover with festive paper or material, or leave blank. Next you will need to make little envelopes out of paper (cut a piece of paper twice the size you want your envelope to be, fold it in half, then staple the sides to your canvas or poster board), or you can go for the store-bought smaller envelopes. Once you get 25 envelopes, start numbering them. When you finish that, you can staple them to your calendar. The final step is to add your candy or activities. For example, you could include ice skating, grabbing hot chocolate at a local cafe, or building a snowman.

My name is Makayla and I'm a first year Journalism student at Carleton University. I'm from a city in New Brunswick called Saint John (otherwise known as the Port City). Before writing for Her Campus I wrote articles for the Telegraph Journal: a provincially recognized newspaper and while doing so I got to interview some well-known people. When I'm not reading or writing I enjoy watching hockey, going to the movies, and spending time at the zoo that I worked at this summer, giving tours and working with some of the animals.