The Benefits of Living Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Near the end of my first year, the biggest worry on my mind wasn’t what my summer plans were or how I was going to survive my final exams- it was where I was going to live second year.

Living on residence during my first year was a great experience filled with freedom, independence, and meeting a bunch of new people. Although it was fun and exciting, it certainly had its downsides like noisy neighbours, strict rules and crammed space. By the end of the year, I was ready to explore different housing options.

It’s only been a month since I’ve been living off-campus, but it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made during my time at university! If you’re still on the fence on whether or not living off-campus is right for you, here are some perks that I’ve found so far:

1) Be where you want to be
Ottawa’s a great city with much to see and do but unfortunately, if you live on rez, chances are you won’t be exploring the city as much as you’d like to. Living off-campus presents you with many opportunities to explore your surroundings and find plenty of hidden gems. You won’t have difficulties finding somewhere that suits your tastes because each area of Ottawa has its own distinct character. There are literally no limits in choosing where you can live, so explore your options. Ottawa is your oyster!

2) No rules
Most dorms have strict rules to ensure our safety and well-being. But sometimes, these rules can seem a tad overbearing. Living in your own place means you can set your own rules (within reason, of course, you still have a landlord). You get to decide how your place will be set up, the amount of people you want have over, and when people can come and go. The power is in your hands.

3) Channel your inner chef
One huge disadvantage of living on rez is that it doesn’t come with a full kitchen. Living off-campus will provide you with the appliances and space you need to make your own food. Cooking for yourself is not only cheaper and healthier, but it also lets you decide what you eat. If you’re like me and know nothing about cooking, don’t worry- you’ll often surprise yourself with what you can whip up!

4) More space
Getting a single dorm room is tough and expensive so you’ll probably be living with a roommate. This definitely isn’t a bad thing but it can be annoying when your clothes and belongings start to get mixed into your roommate’s. Living off-campus will give you your own room along with some extra storage space (ie: garage and closet space) so you can be as messy as you want and you won’t have to worry about having to leave extra stuff at your parent’s house.

5) Head start in the “Real World”
Let’s face it: we’ll all have to take on grown-up responsibilities one day. Living off-campus will force you to take on several duties such as: paying bills, cooking, cleaning, taking out the garbage, grocery shopping etc… You’ll be surprised at how much more responsible you’ll become with all of these added tasks to your plate. Getting into these habits early will help you prepare for life after university and you won’t feel like you’re going into the “Real World” blind.

Remember, living off-campus isn’t for everyone. Make sure you carefully weigh the pros and cons of on-campus and off-campus residence. The decision is ultimately yours, so choose what’s best for you!

Photo source:
http://elonstudenthousing.com/

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.