6 Tips For Staying Moisturized During Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As December draws nearer, it’s important to prioritize hair and skin care in preparation for the cold months ahead. Winter weather will often leave our hair and skin looking dried out and lifeless, but that is easily avoidable by following these simple tips for proper care to battle that bitter chill.

1. Pull the Plug on Hot Water

Coming home from a day out in fierce winds and deep snow might make you want to hop in a boiling bath and soak for hours. Sadly, hot water strips the body of its natural oils and moisture. This will leave you feeling dry and itchy, which can only lead to bigger problems, especially for those with sensitive skin. Instead, opt for showering in warm water and try to limit yourself to 10 minutes under running water. Slather on lotion once you’re out of the shower, too.

2. Don’t Sleep on Wet Hair

After those long, steaming baths (that we now know not to take), what do most of us want to do? Bundle up with our best friend, Netflix, and call it a night, obviously. But before you do, dry your hair completely. Wet hair is very fragile, particularly at the shaft, and sleeping on it can cause breakage, tangles, and follicle damage. This nightmare is easily preventable by taking time to pat your hair dry with a towel or by blow drying it. If you choose to blow dry, coat your hair with heat protectant beforehand and use the medium heat setting on the dryer to minimize the chance of causing heat damage to your hair.

Tip: If your locks are looking brittle after all of that drying, put some hair serum on the ends of your hair to lock in moisture and give it a sleek finish.

3. Head, Shoulders, Knees AND Toes!

Get into the habit of using body lotion on a daily basis and use it on all parts of your body, feet included. Trudging through deep Canadian snows in winter footwear can cause your feet— especially the heels— to dry out, crack, and harden. Not only does a heel as dry as the Sahara Desert look unpleasant, it can also become painful if it goes untreated. If your go-to moisturizer doesn’t seem to help, try using a treatment cream made specifically to target dry soles, easily found at any drug store. Heal those heels!

4. Drink Water!

Shocker, huh? We’ve all heard this one before, but that’s because drinking water is one of the most important things you can do for your body. Staying hydrated is the key to improving not only the condition of your hair and skin, but your health overall. Aim for drinking two glasses of water for every hot chocolate or Starbucks seasonal special you indulge this season.

5. Protect yo’self

With every winter comes a shopping frenzy. Most of us go crazy over getting cute new accessories like hats, mittens and scarves, but will the ones you choose protect you from the cold? To ensure you’re well equipped for the harsh weather conditions ahead, invest in winter gear that has good insulation. Otherwise, you’ll start to dry out within moments after stepping outside. Staying warm doesn’t mean you have to compromise style, though. You can find a variety of chic items out there that will do the job.

Also, be sure to wear your winter gear at all times when you’re outside. You are not Queen Elsa from Frozen. Do not try to “let it go” by throwing your gloves up in the air during a giant blizzard. The cold will definitely bother you.

6. Know What’s Essential

By now, you’re probably running a product checklist through your head: hair serum, check; body lotion, check; lip balm – uh oh…

Although you don’t need a bucket full of beauty products, items such as the ones listed above are essential to surviving the winter. Beyond that, you should always carry a few with you since you’re guaranteed to need extra moisture throughout the day. Take a look at the products you have and decide which ones are worth toting around. You don’t need a whole bottle of hair treatment in your handbag, but a small hand cream and some chapstick can go a long way.

You owe it to yourself to stay healthy and hydrated. Just remember, the only flakes people should be seeing this winter are the ones falling from the sky. ‘Tis the season to be moisturized!

GIF sources:giphy.com 

Parisa

Carleton

Parisa is a journalism student at Carleton University, published author and poet, and self-proclaimed music geek. Tweet her @ http://twitter.com/ParisaEmily