5 Last-Minute Valentine’s Weekend Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Now, assuming you’ve already dealt with the heart-shaped chocolate-covered commercialized tradition part of the romantic day (or are ready to receive them), have you given any thought about where to celebrate this special day in Ottawa? Too busy with midterms might you say?

Well aren’t you in luck. I’ve compiled a list of last-minute Valentine’s-themed ideas to take your lovers or besties (because love encompasses friendship too!) out this Valentine’s Day weekend. 

1. Winterlude (Jan 31- Feb 17)

Get your scarfs and skates on and head over to Winterlude, the national capital’s famous seasonal festival that features glistering ice sculptures, a giant playground made of snow, performers and DJ’s, and of course, the world’s longest skating rink, the Rideau Canal. Take a couple selfies by the ice sculptures, enjoy a hot chocolate and share a beavertail (how romantic), or simply show your girls how skating is really done (14km skate anyone?).  Check this out for more information on events, venues and things to do at Winterlude with your significant other or besties.

2.  Spa Weekend 

What’s a better excuse to get pampered and to relax in the midst of our stressful academic hardships than with a nice couple’s massage. Pick a spa, any spa. Le Nordik? Probably booked. But let’s get real, any massage is welcomed and well-deserved at this point in our undergrad, and yes, I’ll take the Esthetician if it means it’s 20 bucks cheaper (frugality, friends). Try Jask, where I went with my ticklish best friend for a couple’s massage (a.k.a same room at the same time), which also meant holding in fits of laughter during the sensitive parts of the back. Highly recommended. Short on cash? For the couples, buy some sensual massage oils from Shoppers drug mart, and pull out those massage skills. I guarantee it’ll have a happy ending (too far?).

3. Valentine’s Day Brunch 

Get creative with this one! Heart shaped pancakes, heart shaped toast, heart shape the hell out of everything! Whether it’s breakfast in bed, or a simple ILY Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich with a side of kisses (PDA or the chocolate, up to you), let your loved one know you care by making sure they indulge the most important meal of the day. Check out Pinterest Valentine’s day recipes for some lovey-dovey appetizing inspiration. 

4. Nature Walk 

If the weather permits, take advantage of Ottawa’s many nature trails and say a hopeful final farewell to snow by cross-country ski, snowshoe, or walking on it. Great exercise, romantic ambience, and who knows – maybe you’ll spot a deer or even those snowy owls that apparently inhabit the forests of Ottawa. 

5. Go out dancing, with HerCampus Carleton!

That’s right – we’re having a pubnight at The Green Room February 28th! This one’s for everyone – single ladies men, and those cute couples! Sure, it’s two weeks after Valentine’s day, but hey, better late than never right? Details on this event will be announced shortly on our Facebook page. I’ll see you there, though.

Have fun celebrating El Dia del Amor y la Amistad (Love and Friendship),collegiettes!

XOXO

_____________________________________________________________________

Pic sources:http://www.ottawatourism.ca/en/visitors/what-to-do/festival-and-events/w…

Elizabeth is a fourth year Communications major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. In addition to her editor and writer positions at Her Campus Carleton, she enjoys volunteering at Rogers Television studio as a Producer’s Assistant and Floor Director for Daytime Ottawa. she enjoys her weekly soccer games and gym time which keeps her fit as a fiddle and out of trouble. Elizabeth is fond of silver linings and a true believer in the Law of Attraction, and is a lucid dreamer with the hope to enlighten your minds with her writing.