The 12 Guys You’ll Date in University: The Realistic and Relatable Version

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Cosmopolitan and Buzzfeed have both done similar lists, but I couldn’t help but make one myself!  I think everyone can relate to a few of these.What made writing this list so fun is the fact that each scenario below is based on a guy in my life or my friend’s. So naturally, creating this was an absolute blast ;)

1. The Campus Wi-Fi:He’s the one that’s flaky. You know he’s there, but you just can’t seem to connect. You try multiple times, but you don’t get the response you want. If you do get a response, it takes forever. But then you’ll have a day where he doesn’t cut out or disappear or disconnect. He’s there for you and things just run so smoothly and you forget that you spent the last few days ranting about how annoying it is that the signals aren’t strong enough—until he reminds you the following week by not replying to your text.

2. The New Arrival That’s on Clearance: He’s a rarity. He’s the one that you find and call all your friends about because you just can’t believe you actually found something so perfect. He’s that one that’s the one—he’s what you want but doesn’t cost you everything you have. He’s like the last one on the shelf, and happens to be the perfect fit. Score!

3. The Lame Movie: He’s the one you go to because plans looks so promising, but you just end up disappointed because it ran way too long and the ending sucked. You wish you could get your investment back since it really wasn’t worth it, but you know that won’t happen. You feel let down, but you just move on and hope that the next movie doesn’t make you feel the same way this one did.

4. The Bottle of Wine: He’s the one who turned into your best friend. When you first start drinking wine, you think you’re in love. You finally feel fearless and confident. But over time, the love changes. You begin to realize that you love wine, but you’re not in love with it. Eventually, it becomes your dependable friend that you turn to when everything else falls apart. Wine will always be there to comfort you and give you that confidence back when you lose it. It’s a strong bond, but it’s a friendship, not a relationship.

5. The Sparkler: He’s the one that you only get to enjoy for a short while. You love the time you have where sparks are flying and shedding light where it’s dark. You’re smiling and taking cheesy pictures because that’s just what you do when sparks are involved. But unfortunately, sparklers burn out and they do so quickly. In the end, you just have memories and pictures of the good time you had. Soon it will be time to break out the bottle of Pinot…

6. The MacBook. He’s the one who isn’t user friendly. At first, you’re excited to have this MacBook. It’s yours and although it’s complicated, you’re looking forward to figuring out how it works. That seems like a fun challenge since you were getting bored of simple PCs. However, that excitement begins to wear off when everything you knew about computers doesn’t apply to this one. It works in its own mysterious ways. And just when you start to get along and have figured out the tricks to spending time with your MacBook, it gets mad at you, flips you the rainbow wheel and freezes. As annoying as it is, you know it needs time to shut down and take a break before you can even consider trying to figure out what happened this time.

7. The Manicure He’s the pretty one that you treat yourself to every once in a while even though you know it’s never actually going to last. It’s only a matter of time before the chips start to show and you’re forced to wipe your nails clean. You always say how its a waste, but deep down inside you know you’ll be back to square one.

8. The Game of Clue He’s the puzzling one. The relationship died, but what happened is unknown. You want to know the cause of death, but it will require some investigating. Who caused it? How did they do it? Where did it all go wrong? You’re a suspect, he’s a suspect, that ‘friend’ you’re pretty sure he loves is a suspect. You don’t know for sure and you have no idea what the weapon of destruction was or where the murder happened, but you plan on finding out. Accusations will be made.

9.  The Bad Hair Cut He’s the one that didn’t work and everyone knows about it. At first you thought you could pull it off. You told everyone that you thought it would work out so well. With that cut and your cheekbones, of course it was going to be the perfect match. Alas, what you thought would work, didn’t. In the end, everyone knows you went for it and hated it and now you have to pretend you don’t even care while you wait for your hair to grow out… and people forget about that mistake you made. Quick! Delete the photo evidence.

10. The Shoes You Can’t Break In: He’s the one who hurts you. When you first go out in that new pair of shoes, you just know it’s going to be great. You look good, you feel good and you’re pretty sure every other girl is jealous of you. But then things take a turn for the worse. The first night you go out with those shoes, you come home with a blister. It hurts, but it’s not so bad. But then you go out again and when you return, you’re in more pain than you were last time. You thought it would get better, that the shoes would start to fit your feet the way you wanted them to, but they don’t. You may try a few more times, but they still cause you pain. And that’s when you take them off and promise to never wear them again. They aren’t worth it.

11. Your Shade of Lipstick He’s the one worth standing up for. When you finally find a shade of lipstick that you love, it doesn’t matter what anyone else says. You stick with it. Your friends may tell you the colour is a bit much and your mom will probably think it’s obnoxious, but you don’t care. If that shade of lipstick makes you feel like your best self, ignoring everyone else’s comments is worth it. You never know, maybe eventually they’ll warm up to the colour.

12. The Song Featuring Nicki Minaj: He’s the one with the turn off. Everyone loves finding new songs; you blast it in the car and try to sing words that you don’t know as loud as you can because you just don’t care. The song is too good not to. Then all of a sudden, Nicki Minaj shows up to sing a verse and ruins it. The song just isn’t that great anymore. You have to choose: accept the annoying Nicki Minaj verse and keep listening to the song or change the station and let it go.

Pic sources http://weheartit.com/entry/61731740 .http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QtsMdj8daqA/Ujg1LUdkqTI/AAAAAAAALfM/jV6RV0ljcro/s1600/VHNZWJv.gif.http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-10/31/13/enhanced/webdr06/anigif_enhanced-29843-1414776784-36.gif (just use this one instead because I couldn’t find the original gif).http://media.giphy.com/media/LmXk21sZShSa4/giphy.gif.http://data1.whicdn.com/images/43624992/original.gif.http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt71cdbYoO1qii6tmo1_400.gif