6 Things To Do In Cardiff On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cardiff chapter.

Countless Cardiffians will tell you that the city is a fantastic place to live. Combining the advantages of living in a capital city and the advantages of much cheaper living costs than the likes of London, it really is hard not to love the capital of Wales! We at HC Cardiff devised a list of some of the best things the Welsh capital has to offer for virtually no money at all, so those overdrafts can still be used at Topshop Queen Street!

Bute Park 

Bute Park is a huge green area positioned in the center of Cardiff. It’s perfect for long scenic walks or gentle jogs to get yourself bikini ready in a serene environment. Hidden in this spacious park is the aptly named Secret Garden Café where you can stop for hot drinks or ice cream. If you cover the whole area of the park, you’ll also find the Millennium Bridge, plenty of fields ideal for sunbathing (once the sun has its hat on again!), a cricket ground, and bicycle hire facilities amongst other things. So go have yourself a mini adventure in Cardiff’s answer to Hyde Park.

Cardiff Bay

Cardiff Bay is just a short walk away from the center of Cardiff, or hop on a water taxi from Bute Park for just £2. Once at the bay, you’ll find an array of restaurants pitched in front of the harbour to suit any budget and taste buds. A personal favourite of ours is Eddie’s Diner, where you can experience lunch with a view and pick up a burger and milkshake for under £10. Alternatively, enjoy just sitting by the bay; take your own mini picnic to the public benches and seating areas – perfect for a first date. A stone’s throw away is the Millennium Center and their free lunchtime concerts if you fancy something more cultural.

Cardiff University Strength and Conditioning Centre

If you’re looking for a way to keep fit during your time at university but can’t quite fork out the money for a Fitness First gym membership, then this is your solution. They offer over 25 classes a week, ranging from LBT, yoga, pilates, and zumba to extreme fat burning. There really is a class to suit everyone, and with student discount, each class costs just £3.20.

Barry Island

Most of us know Barry Island as the place where well-loved sitcom Gavin & Stacey was set, but it is also a picturesque seaside location, where you can spot all the settings of your favourite scenes. For those true fans, you have the opportunity to have your picture taken in the arcade booth where the character Nessa works if you spend £2 in their souvenir shop – a price worth paying. Aside from Gavin & Stacey, Barry Island is still a really sweet location to visit; fish and chips on the beach is the perfect way to pass your time, especially during the summer. Follow this up by a walk up the hill adjacent to the beach, where you’ll get a wonderful view of Wales.

Student Nights

The nightlife in Cardiff is most certainly one of the best in the UK. Student nights prices mean that you can go out pretty much any night of the week and not break the bank. WTF Wednesdays at Retro is the ultimate budget night out where drinks are 99p and the music is non-stop 90s classics that really bring back childhood memories! You’re sure to have a night you won’t forget (or remember).

Cultural Cardiff

Cardiff has plenty of places to visit if you’re looking to educate yourself further on the city’s history, one being the majestic Cardiff castle; this is a fantastic way to view the city and take funny tourist photos with your friends. Even better, as long as you can prove that you’re a resident of Cardiff, you can visit the castle for free all year round. Additionally, well worth a visit is Cardiff’s National Museum, which also offers free entry and hosts plenty of rooms for you to explore at your own leisure.

2nd year Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies student at Cardiff University.