Shane and Shane: A Night of Worship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Campbell chapter.

On Sunday night, April 10th, 2011, Campbell University had the great pleasure of hosting Shane & Shane, a contemporary Christian music duo.  The concert was given in Turner Auditorium to Campbell students as well as members from the community and local churches. Shane Everett and Shane Barnard kept it casual sporting cargo pants and flip flops.  Their chill attitude and witty humor gave the night an unplugged-ish atmosphere.

Shane & Shane’s lyrics are primarily rooted in scripture.  Songs like Burn Us Up (coming from chapter 3 of the book of Daniel) and Psalm 13 (I’ll let you figure that one out) are just a couple of examples.  Along with some of their originals, the Shanes sang a few well-known worship songs.

Their hearts for God were apparent as they led Campbell students and guests from the community in an awesome time of worship.  The pure voices and strong lyrics were undeniably moving as the audience stood and sung out with raised hands.  In the darkness of the auditorium, the focus went from being a mere concert of talented artists to a worship experience glorifying God. By the end of the performance, whether you had heard of Shane & Shane or not, the reactions of audience members were similar in nature.

“Shane and Shane was a great night of worship and reflection on God’s character,” replied Mark Coggins, a student at Campbell. Christin Hall, a guest from the local community said, “It was a great worship experience.” And John-Mark Magee was quoted saying, “It was flippin’ awesome!”

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! ~Psalm 95: 1-2

Rudy Thomas is a junior communications studies major with a concentration in public relations at Campbell University. With skills in public relations, organization, and communication, Rudy is ready to take on the world of non-profit work in the field of rescue shelters and women's homes. She will be marrying the love her life in December and cannot wait to serve her Lord and Savior with her future husband. Rudy loves her pink glitter Toms, getting to know everyone, and hanging out with her family and friends.