Campbell University has a lot to be thankful for this year as it celebrates its 125 anniversary in Buies Creek. In addition to Campbell’s 125th anniversary, Campbell’s School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is celebrating 25 years of excellence this year. With the many exciting changes on campus, Campbell Collegiettes™ will have many reasons to proudly adorn their black and orange hearts on their sleeves this year as Campbell celebrates this special milestone.
James Archibald Campbell founded Campbell University as Buies Creek Academy on January 5, 1887. Campbell went on to become a junior college in 1926 and then a senior college in 1961. It was not until June 6, 1979 that the school became known as Campbell University with the addition of the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law.
Since then Campbell has opened schools of Law, Divinity, Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Business, and Education. Campbell is currently in the process of establishing a School of Osteopathic Medicine, which is estimated to begin in 2013. Despite the many changes and additions Campbell has undergone throughout the years, only four presidents have presided over the school: James Archibald Campbell (1887-1934), Leslie Hartwell Campbell (1934-1967), Norman Adrian Wiggins (1967-2003) and Jerry McLain Wallace (2003-present).
In the last decade alone Campbell has undergone quite the extensive list of changes. The following are the highlights of Campbell’s road to improvement:
- On April 27, 2007 Campbell University dedicated its $15 million dollar 106,000 square foot facility for upperclassmen students to Fuquay-Varina businessman Bob Barker and his wife, Pat. The facility includes 75 suites and apartments that include four bedrooms per apartment or suite, kitchenettes or kitchens, and fully furnished living rooms.
- On October 3, 2007 Ronald Maddox looked on as Campbell’s School of Pharmacy’s new 42,000 square foot teaching facility was dedicated in his honor. Maddox Hall features classrooms, a study center, breakout rooms, administrative and alumni suites, two large lecture halls, faculty offices, a Professional Association Room, and nearly 6,000 square-feet of laboratory space and lab preparation area.
- On August 30, 2008 Campbell held its first home game since the return of football to the school in the newly constructed Barker-Lane Stadium. The stadium has a capacity of 3,500 and future plans for the stadium include additional seating, a press box and another entrance.
- On October 17, 2008 John W. Pope Jr. Convocation Center opened. The Convocation Center serves as both a concert hall and sports venue in addition to housing Exercise Science classrooms, two fitness centers, a practice court, a wrestling practice room and numerous other attractions of the like.
- In August of 2009, the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law moved to a newly constructed facility in Raleigh, NC.
- On August 25, 2009, the Robert and Anna Gardner Butler Chapel opened. In addition to the sanctuary itself, the Chapel houses offices, a grand gathering hall, and prayer room and a bell tower.
- Campbell opened a new residence hall for females just in time for the 2010-2011 academic year on August 14, 2011. The 48,000 square foot facility has a capacity of 147 residents. The residence hall has yet to be named.
- On July 1, 2011 Campbell University Athletics returned to the Big South.
- On July 20, 2011 Campbell celebrated the dedication of the Carlie C. and Joyce McLamb Environmental Science Center.
- The White Coat Ceremony on August 21, 2011 marked the launch of the Physician’s Assistant Program at Campbell. The newly renovated Carrie Rich Hall is the home of the new program.
Minor other cosmetic changes to the campus for Campbell Collegiettes™ to enjoy include the beautifully landscaped roundabouts, a newly renovated and landscaped Fellowship Commons, the 2,800 pound bronze sculpture of the Fighting Camel mascot in front of John W. Pope Convocation Center, and a new fountain in front of Carter Gymnasium.
Campbell is without a doubt trying to uphold its motto, Ad Astra Per Aspera, which means to the stars through difficulties. Despite the rough state of the economy, Campbell continues to flourish and provide a safe and beautiful environment for its students, faculty and staff.