Winter Break Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Winter break is a period of time to take a well deserved break from school work and enjoy five weeks of freedom. It seems like you’ll get to do everything you want to, but the break is never what you expect it to be. 

Expectation: Seeing all of you high school friends

Reality: You’ll probably hang out with one or two, but the rest of your time will be spent hoping that you don’t run into any one else at the grocery store because you are so over the college conversation. “Hey, how are you?” “Good, how’s school?” “Good, you ready to go back?” “Yup.” Seriously, no one tells you how awkward it is to try and make small talk with someone you haven’t seen in years.

Expectation: Let’s party!!!

Reality: You forgot just how boring your hometown is. All the bars are full of people who you do not associate with and there aren’t any good drink deals like there are at school. You may get invited to a house party or two, but really wants to party at someone’s parents’ house after experiencing college parties?  

Expectation: Getting into shape for the semester

Reality: Home cooked meals are something you have missed dearly and you plan on getting as much as you can before heading back to school. Sure, you have that gym membership, but it’s cold outside and all the new seasons of shows have been added to Netflix and you finally have free time to watch them!

Expectation: I’m going to save up so much money for sext semester

Reality: You get takeout food almost every day. And those after Christmas deals are impossible to pass up, when’s the last time you got to spend money on yourself anyway?

Expectation: You’ll finally be able to catch up on sleep

Reality: You stay up until 5 am every day for no apparent reason and then sleep all day.

Expectation: I’ll finally get to read for fun!

Reality: You’ll start a ton of books but decide that tv is much more important. Seriously, there’s no time for Netflix at school, gotta squeeze it in while you can.

Expectation: I’m so excited to tell my family about school

Reality: You are constantly being asked how your grades are and if you have any plans for after school is finished. Do you have a boyfriend yet? Why not? I mean come on, is this an interrogation or Christmas dinner?

Expectation: My dog will be so happy to see me!

Reality: This one is true because you can always count on your dog to love you.

My name is Kelsey Haught and I'm an English major with a concentration in literature at California University of Pennsylvania. This is my first year writing for HerCampus and I am very excited to be a part of the team!
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.