It’s Okay to be Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Since I’ve been in college, all I ever seem to see anymore on Facebook is my friends being in relationships, getting engaged, getting married and having babies. So many babies. Some of them are still together from high school or are already married high school sweethearts. I’ve watched some close friends from college meet their first love and be happy. It seems love is in the air, and I can’t seem to breathe it in.

As Valentine’s day rolls around, I recall the past few years. I can recall is isles of Valentine’s themed cards, candies, and stuffed animals, and me just looking at them and knowing that it was another year I wouldn’t be getting any of it on February 14th. In my almost 21 years on earth, I have been single. The only Valentine I ever received was from classmates, my friends and my parents.  

Even though I am incredibly happy for my friends, I know the feeling of being sad and envious of my friends posting cute photos on Instagram, or watching them receive gifts from their sweethearts. It almost seems cruel that I have to watch the people I love most find love with their significant others, while I’m over on the sidelines or being the third wheel wondering when it’s going to be my turn. Valentine’s day puts this pressure on people to buy things for their loved ones, while reminding the singles that they are alone.

As I have gotten older, I have no shame in the fact that I am single, especially on Valentine’s day, nor having a broken heart over it.

Image: Unsplash

I know that right now isn’t my time to have love in my life. I believe that all things come in good time, and who wouldn’t want to wait a little longer for a true, good love? I don’t mind the extra time to find someone who will love me, cherish me and love me for who I am, inside and out. 

Don’t feel sad on Valentine’s day, don’t let it break your heart. It’s just another day, and another day closer to finding the person who you will be able to celebrate with in the future.

Believe me, trust me, listen to me, there is nothing wrong with being single, now or on the holiday of love. A holiday should not determine your worth or question why you are still single. Not only are you waiting for your future love, but this gives you time to remember to love yourself. Know that you are strong, beautiful, intelligence, so incredibly independent that you don’t need another’s love to validate yourself, and celebrating that is absolutely necessary.

February 15th is just as important as February 14th: 50% of holiday candy. Grab some girlfriends and celebrate your friendship, have a girl’s day (galentine’s day) and watch romantic comedies, play silly games, eat all the junk food without counting the calories or feeling guilty and enjoy being yourself. Because who wants to go to a crowded restaurant with other couples doing the same exact thing?

February 14th seems to the trademark day of love. But, every day should celebrate that. Not just love for each other, but to love yourself too.

Here’s to Valentine’s 2017. May we all find love in the future, but for now, love ourselves the way we should and deserve, eat all the chocolate until our hearts (or stomach’s) fill, and celebrate another day.

Happy Valentine’s Day, my beautiful and loved sweethearts!