5 Shows You Should Watch Instead of Doing Your Homework

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

We all know you have homework beginning to pile up, we’re only three weeks into the semester but the work is setting in. Let’s be honest, you’re probably reading this right now because you’re trying to find every excuse in the book to not do your homework. Well, if you are looking for an excuse, look no further! These are five of my new favorite shows to binge watch instead of doing homework. 

3%

In the fashion of most of the Netflix original series, this one is seriously amazing. In 3% it’s a dystopian future that focuses less on the society and more on an actual plot within that society. What more could you want from a show? The characters, unfortunately, are hard to get attached to. The only really bad part about this show is that is was filmed in Brazil so I’m sure you know what that means… yes, that’s right, subtitles. I appreciate the diversity of Netflix and their original series. I know a lot of people do not enjoy subtitles but after about two episodes you don’t even realize you’re reading because you’re just seriously so engrossed in the show. There’s only one season which totally sucks but it was amazing from beginning to end.

Image: All Flicks

Salem

I’m not going to lie, I’m seriously obsessed with this show. I absolutely love the history surrounding the Salem witch hunts. I love that this show took the perspective of the witches of Salem and really focused the plot on their lives. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, I don’t think a single episode bored me in the slightest. The plot goes in a direction that I never would have expected and when I finished season two my jaw was dropped for about 20 minutes after I finished the last episode. 

Image: Netflix

Black Mirror  

Another netflix original, another amazing show. If you haven’t heard of it by now you’re probably living under a rock because this show is suddenly all the rage. It’s like the Twilight Zone but with a more creatively imagined, futuristic plot. Every single episode has a different set of characters, an entirely different plot and concept. There are three seasons of this show and there is not a single bad episode. Every single one transports me to some weird contemplative place. I end up thinking about the episode for so long after watching it because there’s just so much to think about after each episode.

Photo: Netflix

Terra Nova

Okay so there’s only one season of this show, and it’s not at all new, but goodness gracious is this show amazing. If you enjoy fantasy, futuristic type of shows you’ll definitely like this one. It originally aired on Fox a few years back and it was so disappointing that they didn’t make a second season, my family and I loved it. The earth is uninhabitable so a family travels to another planet that is essentially in prehistoric past. There are dinosaurs, family drama, and a battle to claim territory. But mostly, there are dinosaurs. 

Image: Netflix

Medici Masters of Florence

I’m a little obsessed with history, only a little. This show takes place in 15th century Florence which already makes me love it. The main character battles to reign over Florence after the death of his father. There’s love, lust, drama, and a fight for power. Plus, I mean seriously the costuming is gorgeous and exactly what I think of 15th century attire to look like. I can’t tell you how highly I recommend this show, though I haven’t even finished it myself. 

Image: Netflix

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.