This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Justin Bieber was out of the spotlight for quite a while last year. One thing we knew for sure about him was that he was in an on and off relationship with Selena Gomez. What we did not know about him was that he was doing some serious soul searching and album writing. Most of you are probably familiar with his main hits this year: “Where Are U Now?,” “What Do You Mean?,” “Sorry,” and his most recent one, “I’ll Show You.” All of these singles feature the talents of both Skrillex and Diplo, also known as the Kings of EDM (Electronic Dance Music).

Bieber released his full album called “Purpose” on November 13th. This album is recognized as one of his best musical compositions so far, especially because his fans are able to connect with him on an entirely new emotional level. In his songs, Bieber expresses the pressures of being under the spotlight. For example there is a line from the song “I’ll Show You” that goes: “Life’s not easy, I’m not made out of steel. Don’t forget that iIm human, don’t forget that I’m real…you act like you know me, but you never will.” Pretty deep right?!

As for his other songs, they reveal his rocky relationship with Gomez, the many stages of heartbreak, and the fact that he has officially moved on. Not only does he give insight to that relationship, but a huge chunk of his album is dedicated to his relationship with God. The song “Purpose” reveals Justin’s strong faith and relationship with God as he sings: “Ask you to forgive my sins, oh would you please? I’m more than grateful for the time we’ve spent; my spirit’s at ease…you give me purpose.” If you have not heard it yet, you should definitely give Bieber’s new album a listen. Not to mention the fact that in addition to Skrillex and Diplo, Bieber features artists like Nas, Big Sean, Halsey, and Travis Scott, just to name a few.

Warning: you may experience a deadly case of Bieber Fever after you get through the entire album. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Lover of reading, writing, and taking photographs. First year student at Cal State LA majoring in Television and Film Studies with an emphasis on Broadcast Journalism. 
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez