Places to Visit on the Gold Line Extension

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

On March 5th, the beloved Metro Gold Line finished its extension to Azusa. The light rail metro is popular among Cal State LA students because of its connection to Pasadena, Union Station, and the El Monte Busway that leads directly to campus. The new extension includes six new stops: Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte/City of Hope, Irwindale, Azusa, and Azusa Pacific University.

Brand new public transportation means all kinds of adventures to not as often explored areas! Each stop has something fun for you to try, so hop on the Gold Line!

Arcadia – Taza. A Social Coffee House

Get the taste of Los Angeles all in one place! Taza carries beans from big names like Stumptown, Coava, Kuma, and Blue Bottle; baked goods from Sugarbloom Bakery and Donutsnob; and dessert from Fosselman’s Ice Cream. Bonus: the interior is perfect for those hip Instagram photos!

Monrovia – Downtown Monrovia

Enjoy an afternoon stroll in Downtown Monrovia. Start with lunch at Mimi’s Cafe or Panera Bread and grab dessert at Fluff Ice! If you’d rather make something yourself, hit up the local Sprouts and pick up groceries of your choice.

Duarte – San Gabriel River Trail

Want to get some great exercise while enjoying the scenic route? Then grab your bike and head down the San Gabriel River Trail. Only 4 miles from the Duarte, the 28-mile Trail extends all the way to Seal Beach. Be sure to pack some food and lots of water!

Irwindale – Picasso’s Cafe, Bakery

Who wouldn’t want to eat at a place with the tagline “Where Good Food is a Work of Art?” This restaurant and bakery carries your cafe favorites including paninis, sandwiches, and wraps, as well as delicious dishes like Fresh Wild Atlantic Salmon with Homemade Teriyaki Glaze. Yum!  If you like the food, consider hitting them up for catering!

Downtown Azusa – Aloha Sushi

Nothing says delicious like sushi, especially unique hole in the wall places! Aloha Sushi is all the rage on Yelp with a five star rating. Not only do they have deals like “buy three rolls, get them all half off,” but the rolls also have fun names like “Sexy Mama.”

Azusa Pacific University/Citrus College – Kaos Records

Good vibes is the best way to describe Kaos Records. For those that still like having physical copies of their favorite albums, sewing patches on a jean jacket, or wearing Misfits t-shirts this is the store for you!

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez