Meet Mikayla Salyer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Name: Mikayla Salyer

Age: 25

Major: Sociology

Year: Junior 

Hometown: Claremont, Ca

Relationship status: in a relationship

Describe yourself in three words:

Pretty fricken awesome. 

What’s your favorite movie?

The Aviator. With Leonardo Di Caprio. Who happens to be my favorite actor. 

Are you involved in campus?

This is my second quarter at CSULA so I haven’t had time yet to get fully acquainted with clubs and organizations yet. But it’s on my to do list!

Name one crazy life experience that has happened to you

About 4 years ago, I lost two of my friends in a car accident. They were both just 21 years old. It took me a while to fully accept that it had happened and that it happened to two amazing individuals. However, since the incident I’ve never forgotten that life is short and it made me very aware of my own mortality. It caused me to really appreciate all that I have and renewed my zest for life, which I definitely needed. I live everyday feeling thankful that I am alive and well. I’m excited that I have this opportunity of a life that is mine to do what I want. 

What is your favorite place in LA?

There’s a place in Hollywood called Good Times at Davey Wayne’s. It’s an awesome ’70s themed bar that is decorated like a house straight out of the ’70s. Music is fantastic and so are the vibes. 

What is your favorite food?

I like any Asian food. Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, you name it. 

Describe your dream date.

Good food is the way to my heart. Take me to eat somewhere amazing and we may have a future together. 

Where do you (hopefully) see yourself in five years?

Owning an online clothing store. Being successful and living my life happily and comfortably.  

What is your favorite thing about Cal State LA?

I love that the campus is so diverse and the fact that I can take the train to school. 

How was it like transitioning from a Community College to Cal State LA? 

It was definitely a change. My community college was basically in my backyard. It was in my hometown. So taking the train and getting familiarized with a new campus was a challenge at first. But I’m pretty adaptive. 

If you had to listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

That’s a really hard question. But I guess it would be “Telephone” from Electric Light Orchestra. It’s such a wonderful song and I think after I go insane because it’s the only song I can listen to…the song is melancholy enough that it’ll match my emotions forever. 

Christine Tran

Cal State LA

After taking four different MBTI tests, Christine is the definition of someone who is half ENFJ and ESFP (she got two for each type). With that being said, this clearly explains her major in Communications at Cal State LA. With a love for fashion and music, she's the type of person who will post #ootds and pictures of every concert she's at on her Instagram. Along with that, Christine has a horrible addiction with cupcakes and tattoos which will eventually be the death of her unless her parents figure out she already has more than one tattoo first.... Find out what she's up to by following her Instagram @christineetran
Angeline is a dual major in Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations at California State University, Los Angeles. Being a Staff Reporter for The University Times, a writing tutor, and a Golden Eagle Radio Talk Show Host for the Her Campus inspired show: "Head Over Heels" are among the many things she is involved with on campus. She dreams of becoming a news reporter someday like Christiane Amanpour or Ann Curry but until then, documents her journalism journey on her blogs, "The Roaring 20's" and "On the Record," which you can find at angelinebernabe.wordpress.com. When she's not busy, she loves to paint, read, eat at all the hip L.A. spots, and try her hand at cooking new dishes.