Bands to See in L.A. this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Sometimes it’s so hard to decide what to do in the city! Between classes and work and other involvements, a college student has to be picky when it comes to spending their money on an outing.

One of the best things to do in Los Angeles is go to a concert. There are venues scattered allover the city, with shows happening almost every night.  The best part about going to a concert is that you have a set date to look forward to something, making it easier to plan around that busy college schedule for a chance of fun. With prices from $12 to $40, it’s an affordable night out for a great group of friends!

Thankfully, Los Angeles will be welcoming so many great bands this fall. Here are some of the best shows to check out this season. If you don’t have time to spare for a live event, we’ve picked out the best songs by these artists for you to jam to!

Airborne Toxic Event – October 30 at the Greek Theatre

LA represent! This 5 member band from the nearby neighborhood of Los Feliz has been rocking the stage since 2006. With hits like “Sometime Around Midnight” and “Timeless,” you’re almost guaranteed an entertaining show. Not to mention that the Greek Theatre near Griffith Observatory is such a classic venue, everyone has to visit at least once. Tickets here.

Their hit “Changing” is perfect for those that like upbeat songs during midterm studying.

Manchester Orchestra – November 8 at the Troubadour

While indie rock band Manchester Orchestra technically only has 4 studio albums, they have recently turned the tables with their latest release Hope, a companion album to last April’s Cope. All of the songs on Hope are acoustic remixes of Cope. How cool is that?! Their show takes place in the cozy Troubadour! Tickets here.

From the album of the same title, the lyrics of “Simple Math” will keep you thinking as you sit at a local coffee shop with your pumpkin flavored item of choice.

First Aid Kit – November 12 at the Wiltern

Folky sister duo from Sweden? Sounds like a dream! For those that like a more relaxed show, First Aid Kit is for you. Take the Metro to Western and Wilshire, grab a seat at the beautiful Wiltern and enjoy the chill vibes. It’s the perfect way to have a little piece of mind amidst all the college stress. Tickets here.

For some reason, “Stay Gold” fits the feeling of fall, making one think of brown boots, color changing leaves, and cozy sweaters.

Foster the People – November 12 at the Shrine Auditorium

Foster the People is another LA based band best known for the song “Pumped Up Kicks.” Their recent sophomore album Supermodel had a fabulous entrance, with a solid spot on the Coachella 2014 lineup and album cover mural in Downtown LA. Their stop at the Shrine marks the near end of their World Tour, meaning this is will be the last time you can catch the band for awhile. Tickets here.

This is the anthem for all those college students that feel a little loss (don’t worry we all do). The start of a new school year makes us question ourselves and this song will help you feel better about that dilemma.

Future Islands – November 20 at the Wiltern

Synthpop and alternative rock fans, this band is for you. Future Islands has gotten stellar reviews on their latest release Singles and has spent the last month touring allover the world. Countless of their shows have been sold out, only adding to the hype that the band is a live act worth seeing. Tickets here.

Yes, the title is self explanatory, but Future Islands has really captured that emotion of transition and change in this hit single.

Capital Cities – November 20 & 21 at the Fonda

Two show dates for two rocking men! The guys behind Capital Cities really know how to bring the beats and the party every time they perform. It’s impossible to not sing along to all of their songs, though we all know that “Safe and Sound” is a mandatory dance anthem. The Fonda is the perfect venue for those that like tight spaces and a chance to be right in the action of the performance. Tickets here.

It was hard to pick a song to share, but this jam just screams fall and going back to school and new beginnings and that rush of living life as it comes.

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez