5 Upcoming Albums You Won’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Justin Bieber, Purpose, November 13

Say what you will about Justin Bieber and his behavior, but you have to admit that the singles he’s released from his newest album are insanely catchy and addictive. His latest release appears to be an attempt to express regret for his past mistakes and try to reinvent his public persona. So far the songs have been surprisingly different from Bieber’s previous sound, from the chill and easygoing EDM (thanks to the help of Diplo and Skrillex) on “Where Are U Now?” to the refreshingly honest lyrics of “I’ll Show You”. Since the full tracklist for “Purpose” was released we learned it will feature several more super-talented guests, including Big Sean, Nas, Travis Scott, and Halsey.

Adele, 25, November 20

If you aren’t excited about Adele’s new album putting an end to her 3-year hiatus, you’re lying to yourself. She’s back and better than ever, and if her new album is anything like her single “Hello”, it’s sure to be full of heartbreaking tracks that are perfect for belting out with your friends, while you’re driving, in the shower….anywhere, really. And as if we needed another reason to get excited about the album, she has recently confirmed several guest collaborations including an “unapologetically dramatic ballad” featuring Bruno Mars and a song co-written by OneRepublic frontman Ryan Tedder who previously assisted her in writing “Rumor Has It” and “Turning Tables”.

Kid Cudi, Speedin’ Bullet to Heaven, December 4

The rapper hasn’t announced much surrounding his fifth studio album but he has taken to Twitter to discuss it, revealing that it will be one of his most emotional yet. There has been only one single released off the album that was posted to the rapper’s Soundcloud page. The single, called “Confused”, features rock-inspired sounds and honest, emotional lyrics. Because Kid Cudi’s final album in his highly-anticipated Man on the Moon trilogy is going to “take some time” he wanted to release Speedin’ Bullet to Heaven to hold his fans over in the meantime.

G-Eazy, When It’s Dark Out, December 4

G-Eazy said in a recent interview that his sophomore album feels like a debut to him because he is still considered an “underdog” in the hip-hop world. This is despite relentless hard work and the fact that his previous album, These Things Happen earned a top-three spot in the Billboard 200 last year. Because of this, he wanted to put everything he had into this record. The Bay Area-born rapper hasn’t been very vocal about exactly what to expect from his latest project, but he has said that “the music is created in the night and inspired by the night”, meaning we can probably look forward to a deeper, more introspective sound than before.

Cage The Elephant, Tell Me I’m Pretty, December 18

You’ve probably heard of them before, but Cage The Elephant is still enjoying their rise to the top and they’re definitely a band you’ll want to keep your eye on as they release their album next month. Their single “Mess Around” stays true to the band’s eclectic alternative rock sound and even features Black Keys’ frontman Dan Auerbach on guitar, who helped produce the record. This is the band’s fourth album since their debut in 2008, and they’re still on the rise. The album release and the success of their single so far are just the beginning of exciting things in store for the band, since it was also announced that they will be opening for Metallica at a Super Bowl Eve concert in San Francisco early next year.

Amy Paul

Cal State LA

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez