5 Reasons to Get Hyped for Cal State LA’s Downtown Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Feeling like it is just way too crowded at school? Do you need a mini adventure in your own city? Hop on the Silver Streak bus from the main Cal State LA campus and make your way to the new Downtown Campus! Opening on January 25th is a part of our Golden Eagle effort to become more involved with the Los Angeles community. What will this new campus have in store for us? We won’t know for sure until the Fall 2016 semester, but there are a few things that make us jump with joy!

1. The Downtown Campus is already on the semester game.

If you wanted to take the semester system on a test run before Cal State LA leaves behind the quarter schedule this fall, the Downtown Campus gives one select major and one certificate program the chance! Liberal Studies majors are able to take courses for degree completion in the Spring 2016 semester, which begins January 25th and ends on May 14th. Students in the Paralegal Studies certificate program also have the chance to take courses in the heart of Downtown.

2. Many Professional Training and Personal Enrichment courses are being offered.

Want to be a Pharmacy Technician, web series writer, Mandarin speaker, or Medical Administrative Assistant? You can make that happen at the Downtown Campus! The courses vary in length but most are around three to four months long. Even though they start in February, you can still register here.

3. Dr. Debbie Covino is teaching a personal enrichment course on self-hypnosis.

Yes, you read that correctly! Our University’s own First Lady will be teaching “Disrupt the Pattern: Self-Hypnosis” at the new campus. Dr. Covino and her husband, President William A. Covino, have put a strong emphasis on breaking the mental health stigma since they’ve come to Cal State LA. Together they founded the Mind Matters initiative, which provides more resources for students to improve their mental and physical well-being. As a certified hypnotherapist, Dr. Covino has her own practice to help those that are struggling with anxiety, depression, addiction, and more. By offering a course at the Downtown Campus, she’s not only bringing her knowledge to the students, but also to the community.

4. The options for activities after class are endless.

Located on 801 South Grand Avenue, the Downtown Campus is the spot to be once you are out of your night class. Food, drinks and the 7th Street/Metro Station are mere blocks from the classroom, promising a fun night out after a long day of course work. Some highlights include the 24-hour fun of The Original Pantry Café, popular bars like Honeycut and the Golden Gopher, and macaroon haven Bottega Louie. Can’t forget to mention that right across the street is Downtown LA’s newest obsession: the recently opened Whole Foods Market.

5. The promise of Proposed Program Offerings is exciting!

The big question on the minds of most students is “what classes will be offered at the Downtown Campus?” The schedule for Fall 2016 is not yet set, but the list of Proposed Program Offerings has already surfaced. Masters students will be thrilled to see options in Counseling, Business Analytics and Social Work. If you are looking for a certificate, choices will include Accounting, Aviation Administration, and Leadership and Governance in Metropolitan Los Angeles, among others. While none of these programs are confirmed, it’s still cool to know that there will be plenty of degree and certificate options for students! 

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez