Why Quitting Is Actually a Good Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Many of us see quitting as a failure, but is it really quitting or are we just moving on?

We’ve grown up with heroes in movies that face it all, never giving up despite how hard things get. Society has given us the expectation that when life gets tough we must fight back and battle on. There’s no denying that we are humans of habit, but when is enough really enough?

There are plenty of things that we do in life that we don’t give ourselves enough credit for. We do things for our friends, teachers, family and employers, but what about ourselves? 

It takes a lot of courage to admit that you’re unhappy with something or that your decisions weren’t the best. However, that is what creates the truth in things that matter. There are paths made for everyone, but when the going gets tough, sometimes there is a new path to be discovered.

Decisions that involve quitting aren’t always going to be easy. But if there is a time when quitting is the right thing to do, do not be afraid to do so because of what others might think. Live courageously and make choices that can have the potential to change your life.

Our time on this Earth may be limited, but there endless paths to travel on. Never waste your time on something that isn’t making you happy or is compromising what is right and wrong. Do not be ashamed because learning from these experiences is what makes us human. This is your life. Don’t fear the stigma of being a “quitter.” Be you and embrace the change.

“There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors.” —Aldous Huxley

Third year Broadcast Journalism major, future sports reporter. Lover of all things chocolate, outdoorsy, and sports related. If you can't find me, I'm most likely watching Netflix.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu