Why IDGAF If Guys Don’t Like My Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’ve all heard it before: “You’d look better with less makeup,” or “Guys don’t like all of that stuff on your face.” We’ve even heard, “Natural beauty is more attractive.” Has anybody taken into account the fact that we ~like~ makeup? Or that makeup is fun? Or how about maybe we aren’t even putting on makeup for anyone else?

I remember the first time someone told me that the reason I wore makeup was because I was insecure and wanted people to look at me differently. Not only was I taken aback by this claim about myself, but it wasn’t even close to being true. I was infuriated by the idea that someone thought I would wear makeup just to get attention from boys. Makeup shouldn’t be for anyone else’s benefit but your own and the truth is, makeup is fun. It’s fun to buy, it’s fun to put on and it makes YOU feel good.

I doubt anyone goes makeup shopping thinking about which eyeshadow palette their crush would like best. No guy is going to know the difference between the Naked Rose Gold Palette and Benefit’s World Famous Neutrals, nor do they care, I imagine. So, no, you shouldn’t buy makeup wondering if that special someone will notice how your new eyeliner is better for winged tips.

How many countless hours have we spent on YouTube watching makeup tutorials? More than I’d personally like to admit. No one spends hours doing that for the benefit of someone else. The videos are fun to watch, and it’s always exciting to try out a new makeup trend! Most of the time, I go all out with my makeup even if I’m not going anywhere. Makeup itself is enjoyable to put on, whether you’re going out or not. It’s an art form and it takes practice and experience to get it right.

Most importantly, makeup should make YOU feel good. When I was told I wear makeup for other people, my immediate response was no, I wear makeup because I like to and because I feel good in it. I don’t care if people think it’s too much or that it’s not “natural” enough. I like it, and that’s that. If a guy doesn’t like you because of your makeup, then that’s not the type of person you’d want to be with anyways.

So next time you’re wondering whether or not to add that extra eyeliner or if that lipstick is too much, think about what makes you comfortable and no one else. No one can tell you what looks good on you and what doesn’t because it’s all about how you feel. Brush on that extra highlighter and contour the hell out of your face if that’s what makes you feel like you’re going to rock the day, you’re beautiful no matter what!