What to Do When it Feels Like You’re Falling Behind In Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

There’s this invisible timeline, a rope threaded between each and every one of us; can you feel it pulling at you? The year we should be graduating in, they age we’re supposed to be falling in love, the times that are usually the best of our lives…Sometimes it can feel like there are all these expectations we need to reach and milestones we’re supposed to be hitting. The question is, what do you do when you’re just not quite there yet?

First things first, take a deep breath.

Remember that invisible timeline? It’s different for all of us. Some of us get married straight out of high school, others maybe don’t get married at all. There are students who graduate in three years, others who use gap years or take their time and graduate in six.

Thing is, in the end, we all end up living our own lives, paying no attention to what everyone else is doing. Because we deserve to.

There is no such thing as falling behind in life— I know, it’s different when you take a look around at friends or old high school peers and feel like you’re moving in slow motion. But bear with me here, I promise you you’re not.

Ever heard the phrase “there’s a time and a place for everything?” Your life is a place for change, for bettering yourself and finding a path to success; unfortunately, that takes time. For some, more than others.

We are all human beings, you have to give yourself a chance to be one.

That means being someone who makes mistakes, procrastinates a few too many times, forgets about the gym while eating too much chocolate, and yes, someone who isn’t always going to be where they want themselves to be. It’s a part of who we are. Not everyone can get catch a break at the same time, be in the right place at the right time to land that opportunity at moving forward.

That doesn’t mean you aren’t.

Like I said, being human is a part of the game and well, every one of our lives has a different set of rules. Maybe you feel like you are working your ass off and yet still, your GPA doesn’t show it or your boss never notices. It can feel like life doesn’t care how hard you work, still nothing changes.

Wait for it, cause when it does, it’s going to be legendary.

Sure, you may hear this a lot, but only because it’s true— there are only 24 hours in a day, use them. Take things one day at a time, hour by hour, and do what you can to get where you want to be by the end of the day. Is there a big test you’re studying for? Grab a cup of coffee, think about the payoff, and buckle down to hit the books for a little bit. Are there a few dreams you still hold near and dear to your heart? Whether it’s a personal journey, a professional accomplishment, or a little bit of both, find out what it will take to get one step closer to what you want.

You never really know what you can do to start feeling good about your life until you do it. You have to remember this: only you can do that for yourself.

Have things changed from where you were two years ago, one month ago, yesterday? Have you become more of the person you want to be? I hope that answer is yes, because with change comes opportunity.

And if it is, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about— believe it or not, you are doing just fine. Remember that.

Cal Poly SLO Senior, author of Live, Laugh, Love Like a Teenager, and blogger at KWilliamsbooks, Karina is one of countless women with a voice to be heard and a dream to be chased. Perhaps a little bit of both at the same time; follow her on the journey and you can find out.