This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

America. Land of the free, home of the brave. Well, this country is about to lose the freedom of expression for the imaginations of the brave. The National Endowment of the Arts, otherwise known as the NEA, is on the chopping block. It is the only federal agency that supports and funds opportunities for Americans to exercise their imaginations and creativity. The NEA currently only takes up .004 percent of the federal budget, not even a full one percent. Our current presidential administration and Congress seem to believe that the artsdon’t help anybody. Then again, we have to remember that we live in a country where the construction of giant walls are prioritized among all things…so a statement like that isn’t really a surprise.

First, it’s important to know what exactly the NEA does. Most of this program’s budget is geared towards art education in low-income communities. It funds projects that inspire and teach young children about the history of their communities, cities and country. It gives money to universities that research ways art can pave the way of their culture. Basically, the NEA gives the chance for people to create and inspire. Eliminating the NEA is eliminating imagination.

So, let’s take a step back and ask ourselves: how does art affect our everyday lives? I’m not just talking about the type of art that involves a paintbrush and a canvas; I’m talking about the type of art that heals. The type of art that teaches. The type of art that encourages empathy, understanding and growth. 

Let’s take a look at what an artless America would look like. Sure, we’d have blank walls, boring landscapes and Vogue-less fashion. But looking at a broader picture, here’s what a country without art would really look like:

1. No help for our military

In case you weren’t aware of the benefits of the arts, here’s a prime example. Art heals. In fact, it’s such a powerful healing force that the US Department of Defense partners with the NEA to fund creative arts therapies for service members with traumatic brain injuries and other associated psychological health issues.

2. Say goodbye to Coachella, Bonnaroo and Burning Man

You read that right! These music festivals, along with many others, are not only venues for musical artists to perform; they’re hosts for interactive and visual artistic masterpieces. The NEA supports small and large music festivals across the country, including some that offer free outdoor concerts, community presentations and summer camps for students. 

3. Less hunger for knowledge

Imagine going through elementary school without field trips to museums and zoos. Yes, the zoo! Several NEA grants allow audiences free admission to places like the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Central Park Zoo. Less funding towards the arts basically means less funding for interactive learning.

4. No award-winning movies

Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re gonna get. But in a country without art, you’ll probably get the same piece of chocolate every time. America is a powerhouse for notable movies, especially classics like Forrest Gump. The NEA funds universities and colleges across America such as the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, where students like Nancy Heigh, the set designer for Forrest Gump, graduated from. Hundreds of other painters, sculptors, illustrators, comedians and photographers thrive from these programs, all in part through the grants that the NEA provides.

5. A child misses out on the opportunity to express themselves

40% of the NEA budget goes towards activities that take place in high-poverty neighborhoods. This is funding that gives a young child the chance to step onto a stage. It’s an opportunity for that child to experience courageousness. It gives a young child the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, a chance to stimulate the mind with rhythm and connectedness. Taking away art education will take away the freedom of expression. The freedom to create. Taking away art takes away these valuable tools that the youth of America needs.

6. Millions of jobless Americans

Nearly five million Americans are employed in the arts and cultural industries. That’s five million Americans who depend on the arts to feed their families. They depend on the arts to put a roof over their head, food on the table and clothes on their back. Bottom line – the arts hold tremendous economic value and gives opportunities for people to make a living.

7. A decrease in easily accessible music

According to a survey conducted by the NEA, 1 in 3 adults use handheld or mobile devices to download, watch or listen to music. Funding towards programs such as The Fine Arts Society allows research for development of music apps on mobile devices. Basically, Spotify, Soundcloud and Apple Music wouldn’t be available. How else are you supposed to watch Beyonce’s “Lemonade” album?

Whenever I think about an artless America, it terrifies me. I live in a country that should pride itself in cultural diversity and innovative ideas. So why doesn’t our current presidential cabinet seem to agree? I recognize that defunding the NEA wouldn’t make art disappear altogether; in fact, artists will always find the will to survive and create. However, defunding the NEA will lessen the chances of a brighter future. It will lessen the opportunities for a child to learn, create and form new ideas. 

Whether or not you believe in artistic values, think about the bigger picture. If you support innovative ideas and a more empathetic community, the NEA is exactly what this country needs. If you’d like your show your support, it’s as easy as signing your signature on a letter to your local representative or even a petition to President Donald Trump himself. We need the arts, but now more than ever, the arts need us.

Mady grew up in sunny San Diego, CA but attends school in San Luis Obispo, CA as a junior in journalism. Mady is currently on the public relations and staff writing team for Her Campus at Cal Poly SLO. She's an especially gifted napper, lover of all things fluffy and creator of cheesy puns. Mady hopes to utilize her passion for the arts and journalism to promote a more empathic community.