We Got 99 Problems But Our Pitch Ain’t One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We got 99 problems but our pitch ain’t one. Yes, I said pitch, not the other word in the song by Jay-Z.

I was involved in choir in high school, and may I say that it was one of the best experiences that I ever had in high school. There is nothing like learning all of the songs that you would not normally hear on a daily basis, singing in harmony and performing on the stage in front of the crowd. That is the reason why I joined the choir at Cal Poly immediately upon starting school here. 

When I had joined the choir at Cal Poly, I remember on the first day, Dr. Tom (the director) had asked us to go around and say our name, year and major. I remember thinking that I had never seen so many different majors gathered together in one room.

So why do so many students from so many different majors join the music department’s bands and choirs?

The answer is pretty clear for us students. We love music. It’s our passion, what makes us happy and what brings us joy. Like Dr. Tom always said to us, it’s a chance for us to drop our bags and schoolbooks, and leave our stresses and worries at the door. Once we enter the classroom, it’s our time to relax and do what we love. It’s the perfect way to release everything and just enjoy ourselves. 

At our last concert in the Performing Arts Center, it was mentioned that out of all the students within the department, only a handful are actual music majors. The rest of us come from all different majors. Why do we put in countless hours of practice and memorization? Because it’s what we love. 

Being in the music program allows us to express our creative side. We get to meet people outside of our major and we get to build a camaraderie unlike any other class on campus. 

So if you love music, think about joining Cal Poly’s Music Department. You may find it’s what you need to express your creativity and to meet other people who have the same passion as you do.

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8