The Ultimate Guide to Line Dancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Line dancing is certainly not everyone’s forte. But in San Luis Obispo, it’s normal for line dancers — experienced and inexperienced alike — to unite on the Graduate’s dance floor every Thursday and Saturday night. After all, you’re not truly a part of San Luis Obispo’s small town charm ’til you’ve hit up the dance floor in those obnoxious cowboy boots at least once. Though the moves, the talented dancers and the country attire may seem intimidating at first, you’ll practically own the dance floor by following these simple steps:

Step 1: Think comfortable and cute when it comes to clothes

It can be hard to determine line dancing attire. You may not be sure if everyone’s going to go all out in barn clothes, or if they’ll dress down a bit. But there’s no need to worry! The classic line dancing outfit is a short, white flowy dress with brown boots. It’s casual, comfortable and still incredibly cute. Other outfit ideas include:

• Knee-length floral dresses with black/brown cowboy boots

• Flannel shirt paired with jean short-shorts and black/brown cowboy boots

• Flannel shirt paired with jeans and black/brown cowboy boots

Note: If you don’t own cowboy boots, it’s all good! Plenty of girls have hit up the dance floor in combat boots or boots of other styles.

Step 2: Decide what line dancing day would be the best fit for you.

While the barn dance hosted by SLO Cru is a great event, nothing beats the ambiance of the Graduate. Its hardwood floors, run-down look, classic bar and lights make the whole line dancing experience what it is. Thursdays are typically a bit crowded at the Graduate, so if you want a little more room on the dance floor, Saturdays might be best for you. However, if you feel more comfortable blending in with the crowd, Thursdays may be a better fit. On both Thursdays and Saturdays, lessons start at 8 p.m. and dancing starts at 9 p.m. On regular days, there is a $10 entrance fee. Occasionally, the price is lowered to $5, so do some research before you go. Once you’ve got your ID card and money at the door, you’re all set and ready to start dancing!

Step 3: Learning to dance

Asides from the classic grapevine, line dances may take some time to get used to, but that doesn’t mean they’re impossible to learn. Take it easy — get there early to take lessons and just have fun. If you mess up, laugh at yourself and try again. No one is judging you. If anything, people will try to help and guide you during the dances when they see you struggling. Here are some additional tips to know beforehand:

• Try to stay light on your feet: Don’t focus on a move too much. Pay attention, but go with the flow and let your dance moves come naturally.

• Don’t kick others: This is annoying, so don’t do it. Stay in your own little boundaries — trust me, it’s not that hard. Remember to be mindful of others on the dance floor!

• Count the beat in your head to stay on track while dancing: This can really help you if you’re having trouble synchronizing with everyone, so do it!

• It’s always okay to step out if you don’t feel comfortable: Is there a partner dance that you’re just not feeling? Step out to the side for a bit; it’s fine! Don’t feel pressured to dance when you don’t feel like it.

• Be confident: Even if you may not feel comfortable at times, don’t be afraid to make a fool out of yourself. When I first went line dancing, I spent half the time busting out my own moves in the back with one of my best friends. Enjoy it!

With these tips in mind, go crazy, have fun and make memories. You’ll be a line dancing expert in no time!

Suha Saya is currently a freshman at Cal Poly majoring in Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is a contributing News Writer for Mustang News — Cal Poly's campus newspaper. Aside from writing articles, Suha grew up as a creative writer, focusing on poetry. Suha also secretly likes to sing (not so secret anymore) and to oil paint. Her dream is to someday work for a well known publication in either San Francisco or New York. Fun facts: Suha has an extra flexion crease (line) on the palm of her left hand's ring finger. She was also named after the Arabic version of the star Alcor, a star located in the Ursa Major.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.