Top Treats From Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Although some people would consider Disneyland to be the happiest place on earth, I feel like Trader Joe’s comes in at a close second. There is so much good food to choose from and it can be a bit overwhelming. We’ve all got our favorites, but I’ve picked out a few of the top treats from Trader Joe’s:

1. Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries

These tasty morsels are little berry-like jellies covered in dark chocolate. But, proceed with caution. They are very addictive. They come in a resealable bag which isn’t really necessary considering you will probably eat them all in one sitting. Maybe it’s just me, but something about the name makes you feel like they should be sort of healthy in a weird way. I mean berries are good for you, power is a positive thing and isn’t everyone always saying how dark chocolate is full of antioxidants? The bag says they’re an excellent source of vitamin C, so…

2. Chocolate Almond Laceys

I’m not even really sure what to call these things. They’re sort of like cookies but also just like melted toffee pieces covered in chocolate. Either way, they are delicious. According to Joe, himself, each one is made up of a few layers of toffee and chocolate sprinkled with almonds. They also offer them with macadamia nuts as opposed to almonds, which I’m sure is just as tasty. The only downer about these things is that they are a complete mess. I always end up covered in crumbs after I eat them, but it’s totally worth it.

3. Maple Leaf Cookies

I know a lot of people have their hearts set on Joe Joe’s, which I admit are epically good, but you should all give these guys a chance. Much like Joe Joe’s, each cookie is made up of two other cookies sandwiched together by a creamy middle. The difference is that everything here tastes like syrup. Although you might be imagining something gross and sticky, they are amazing. Just trust me on this one.

4. Gone Bananas!

These frozen treats are one of my favorites. They’re wonderful a twist on an old classic. Instead of dunking an entire banana into chocolate, the TJ’s crew decided to slice it up into bits and then drown each piece in chocolate. To me, this just seems like an excuse to create more surface area that can then be covered in chocolate and I am completely fine with it. Plus, it’s only two bucks for a whole box. That’s a pretty sweet deal if I do say so myself.

5. Kona Coffee Shortbread Cookies

If you are a coffee lover, these are the cookies for you. Grab yourself a cup of java with a few of these, and you’ve got yourself a match made in heaven. As if regular shortbread cookies weren’t good enough, these ones are also packed with tiny bits of coffee beans then dipped into an icing also made with coffee beans. They harvest their beans straight from Kona, on the big island of Hawaii. After just one bite, you will feel like you’re sitting on the lanai of your tropical beach bungalow.

So sure, you can head over to Sleeping Beauty’s castle and wish upon a star, or just stop by our local Trader Joe’s, pick up a few of these tasty treats and all of your dreams will come true. 

R.M.

Cal Poly

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8