Staying SLO-cal for spring break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Alright girls, spring break is right around the corner and if you’re anything like me, you haven’t had time to make any plans for it.

A lot of students are either going home or traveling somewhere, but if you’re staying in San Luis Obispo, I’ve got you covered with some fun things to do!

1. Camping

I know, there are bugs and animals roaming around and showers aren’t always available, but going on a camping trip is one of the greatest things to do. There are plenty of near by campgrounds that are absolutely gorgeous with hiking trails and access to beaches. San Simeon State Park is right up the coast and is only $25 bucks a night, so grab a group of friends and go!

2. Apple Picking

At SLO Creek Farm, you can walk through miles of beautiful trees covered in delicious apples! You are allowed to wander around their farm and look at all of their attractions, and you can pick your own apples for just a small price depending on how many pounds you get. These apples make the best apple juice ever! You can stay for lunch and enjoy a great meal, or you can ask them to press your apples for a nice glass of juice. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon with your friends!

3. Kayaking

Morro Bay has the coolest area to rent a kayak or paddleboard to cruise around the water. At Kayak Horizons, their rentals are cheap and they love Cal Poly so they offer plenty of discounts to students, which is perfect for our poor pockets! Make sure to look at the sand as you glide through the water, pretty sand dollars are everywhere. When you’re done, you can enjoy the ice cream and candy stores on Main Street.

4. Shooting Range

Still can’t shake the stress of finals? Heck, the whole quarter? Well I know what will cure that! SLO has a public shooting range up Highway 1 not too far away from Cal Poly and is open to anyone! It’s only $10 for a day of target practice and they provide you with everything you need. Go blow some steam off before the new quarter!

5. Beach day

Avila beach and Pismo beach are two beautiful beaches that are perfect for a fun, sun-kissed day. They have barbecue pits, volleyball courts, and cute boardwalks to go shopping at! Joe Momma’s Coffee Shop has the cutest shop along Avila boardwalk overlooking the beach and is right next door to an ice cream/candy store; what’s not to love? Pismo is always great because after a long day of swimming and laying out, you can go to Splash Cafe and taste their delicious clam chowder.

There are plenty of fun things to do this Spring Break, so let’s go have some fun exploring, girls!

Third year Broadcast Journalism major, future sports reporter. Lover of all things chocolate, outdoorsy, and sports related. If you can't find me, I'm most likely watching Netflix.
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.