St. Patty’s Day Party Treats on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Are you totally bummed out because not only is St. Patty’s Day on a Monday, but it’s the first day of finals? Well no worries, I have a solution that will allow you to celebrate and study. Here are some fun, festive, and inexpensive treats that are perfect for a study sesh with friends that’ll make you feel like you’re partying.

Pot of Deliciousness: Green Gooey Popcorn

What you will need:

1 bag of buttery popcorn

1 tbsp. butter

1/4 package of regular marshmallows

1 scoop of vanilla frosting

green food dye

Directions:

Heat marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Take out and stir in frosting. Place back in microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir in 3-6 drops of food dye (whatever looks good to you.)

Pop popcorn in microwave until cornel pops are 2 seconds apart. Place popped popcorn in a large serving bowl.

Drizzle green marshmallow goo all over popcorn.

Tip: use spoons when eating, this can get really messy!

Mint Hot Chocolate (Virgin, or not)

What you will need:

Milk (I prefer almond or coconut)

1 package Swiss Miss mint chocolate powder

whipped cream

green food dye

Directions:

Microwave milk for 2 minutes. When finished, stir in entire packet of hot chocolate powder. Top it with a large glob of whipped cream and a few drops of food dye.

Suggestion: For 21 and over, add Bailey’s Irish Cream and it’ll be the best St. Patty’s Day drink you ever had!

What’s Really at the End of the Rainbow, this Frosted Rice Krispy

What you will need:

3 tbsp. butter

6 cups of Rice Krispies

1/2 package of regular marshmallows

cream cheese frosting

green food dye

Directions:

Microwave marshmallows and butter for 2-3 minutes. Make sure not to over cook, as marshmallows will expand and explode. When finished, mix in 6 drops on green food dye until texture is smooth.

Grease a 13 x 9 1/2 in. pan (I use coconut oil). Hard press rice krispy mixture into pan and let cool for 20 minutes.

Scoop frosting into a bowl and mix in 3 drops of dye. Use a whisker and mix until frosting is whipped.

Once rice krispies are cool, generously coat them with frosting! Yum!

Tip: When pressing cookie mix into pan spray the spatula you are using with cooking spray. This way the mixture won’t stick to the spoon.

A lover of all things outdoors and extreme. Buffalo chicken wings are everything to me. If I'm sleeping, only the brave dare wake me up. Most of all, a lover of life.
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.