This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The holiday season is finally upon us  along with all of our favorite things – glittery decorations, seasonal themed movies and, most importantly, gift exchanges! Between decorating your apartment and cozying up with hot cocoa for a new Hallmark movie, there will definitely need to be some time set aside to focus on purchasing perfect gifts for every person on your list, especially those coming from a gift exchange!

Gift exchanges through clubs, work or friends can be tricky, especially if you do not know your match on a personal level. Instead of falling back on the classic last-minute gift card, try putting together these packages to make your gift a little more special!

$5 – DIY Crafty Calendar

Do-it-yourself gifts are a perfect solution for anyone on a budget; not only are they inexpensive, but thoughtful as well. When you have a low priced gift to give, try making a calendar from paint samples, which can be found in any hardware store for free, and putting them into an inexpensive clear frame!

$10 – Sweet Surprise

The holiday season is the perfect time to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth, so pick up a few holiday inspired goodies to create an irresistible gift! If the recipient is about to tackle finals week, also include an energy drink to give them the sugar and caffeine necessary to power through the seemingly endless study sessions!

$15 – Starbucks Sensation

Step-up the typical gift card present by pairing a $10 Starbucks gift card with a holiday-themed reusable cup for $2 and a prepackaged treat to compile a well rounded present.  This gift is perfect for all coffee-lovers by providing a free drink and treat in an environmentally friendly cup!

$20 – Relaxation Basket

What better way to celebrate the holidays than with a glass of wine in a bubble bath? If the recipient is over 21, build a basket for a relaxing night with a bottle of wine, chocolate, a nice candle and bubble bath supplies. If they are underage, opt for a bottle of sparkling cider instead of the alcoholic version.

The best part about all of these gift options is they can be adjusted to fit with any budget to work for almost every gift exchange. Try to stray away from the typical gift card presents and surprise your person with one of these perfect gifts this holiday season!

Taylor Petschl

Cal Poly '18

Taylor Petschl is a Cal Poly SLO alum and is currently attending Boston University for graduate school. She is a former campus correspondent and editorial intern for Her campus! 
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.