Reflection on Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As my freshman year is coming to a close at Cal Poly, I am struck with complete and utter disbelief.

I cannot believe that in a blink of an eye, my first year as a Mustang will be over. As cliché as it may sound, it really does feel like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to my parents and unpacking my belongings in my new room.

I had no idea what I was doing and no idea what an amazing journey I was about to embark upon. Starting college is a feeling unlike any other. The uncertainties arose about how I was going to fit in, what I would be involved in and, if in fact, I would survive this scary place that was over 200 miles away from everything I had grown accustomed to.

Many other students had similar feelings.

“Before starting freshman year at Cal Poly I was super excited and anxious to get to school,” sociology freshman Brittany Friedman said. “I think I was most afraid of the college workload and just being away from home, because I had not previously been gone from my family for such a long time.”

Starting over in a new town was intimidating for most freshmen, and not having the security blanket one was used to was a big adjustment.

“I was most afraid about being thrown into a totally unfamiliar place all on my own,” sociology freshman Daniel Porush said.

Not only was the huge campus intimidating, but the surrounding beautiful and scenic town of San Luis Obispo was unknown and undiscovered. However, just a few weeks in, experiencing Firestone Grill and hiking Bishop Peak seemed like the greatest accomplishments. Slowly, but surely, we made SLO our home, enjoying ourselves and forming memories in the process.

Despite the new adventures SLO held for me, what I learned about myself turned out to be the most gratifying and rewarding experience.

It’s amazing what living on your own teaches you. I couldn’t run to my mom and expect her to solve the problems I had at hand. I had to learn how to make important decisions alone and ultimately rely solely on myself to create a happy atmosphere that I was content with.

“I really learned how to rely on myself and trust myself,” Porush said.

Trusting your own instincts was always the best way to go. Whether it was something as simple as where to eat or something as extreme as what class to take or major to switch to, the person who knew what was best for you was always yourself.

With learning about yourself comes a great deal of what you learn about others. College provided so many opportunities to build relationships. Meeting new people was a rewarding aspect, but it was also important to choose the right people to surround yourself with.

“I learned that the friends you make at college aren’t always your ‘friends’ and only a select few will be there for you even when it’s not convenient for them,” business freshman Alex Chaconas said.

It’s a harsh reality, but the truth of the matter is that not everyone you meet will support you. However, what was so crucial to learn was that each day provided an opportunity to meet someone new or build upon a friendship that had just begun. Making friends took time, but once you learned to build relationships based off what you valued, the rest was easy.

Living on my own put into perspective what I took for granted back home, and what I truly missed. Home-cooked meals seem to be the most agreed-upon perk of living at home.

“Something that I won’t take for granted is my Mom’s home-cooked meals,” Chaconas said. “Campus food can be ok at times, but nothing beats your mom’s cooking. That stuff is made with a love and passion only a mother can provide.”

And that love and passion is one of the things we truly missed the most. Yearning for home-cooked meals and family was hard, but now that the summer approaches, we’ll say thank you to those who gave us unconditional support (and food) again and again.

As far as advice goes to incoming freshman, a general consensus was reached: take advantage of all opportunities present, seek help when you need it and have fun.

“My advice to incoming freshman is to put yourselves out there. Get involved in things that you may have not done in high school and talk to people,” Friedman said. “Take advantage of the dorm life because there really is nothing like it; it becomes a great community and family away from home.”

Freshman year at Cal Poly was the toughest year I have ever endured, but it was also the most amazing, exciting and rewarding year of my life. The lessons you learn in college are ones that you take as you begin your journey into adulthood and your future career. The appreciation I have learned to have for others and myself is overwhelmingly present in my day-to-day life. Transitioning to college may be challenging, but it is an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world.

Samantha is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly. On campus, she is a staff writer for the Mustang News, editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, a board member on the American Marketing Association and plays intramural soccer. She loves to write, wear pajamas and re-watch episodes of The Office on Netflix. She aspires to have a career in broadcast journalism or law and hopes to someday travel around the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu