Protect Yourself: How to be Smart and Safe at Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

One in four college-aged women report being assaulted. There have been many recent reports of sexual assaults (or attempted) on campus and in San Luis Obispo. This makes me wonder — do girls at Cal Poly know how to protect themselves? Though sexual assault should never happen, the hard truth is women need to know how to stay safe.

1. Do not walk anywhere alone at night.

Now this one seems obvious, but so many girls end up doing it. Buddy system — always. If you are stuck in a situation where you want to leave, call a cab or SLO Safe Ride. If you don’t have any cash, no problem; most of them take cards. There is also free ride, not an official taxi, but a good resource for students in a desperate situation. If all else fails, call UPD. They will help you find a ride home and you will not get in trouble. Whatever you do, don’t walk by yourself.

2. Use a “safe” phone call.

Sometimes I find myself leaving the library late at night, and then I realize how far I have to walk to get to my car. I always call someone and talk to them while I walk to my car. Now what does this do? It tells whoever you’re talking to exactly where you are, what you’re doing and exactly what time you should be home. Also, it discourages potential predators. Be careful with this though, what you should not do is look down at your phone while texting. Keep your eyes up at all times, and be aware of your surroundings. Liking a friend’s photo on Instagram will not tell them where you are if something bad happens to you. Pay attention!

3. Keep car keys in hand.

One of the first protective things my dad told me was to never stand at your car searching in your purse for car keys. Before you leave, grab your keys and cellphone. Just hold them while you walk. It is such a simple tip, but it could be one of the most important habits you ever pick up. When you unlock your car, only press the unlock button once, so it only opens the driver’s door. The second you get in your car, lock your doors. Also, holding keys in between knuckles makes a great weapon if you ever need to protect yourself!

4. Invest in some pepper spray.

Now I know this sounds dramatic, and you will probably never use it, but having pepper spray on hand is a great way to feel safe when you’re by yourself. I hold it in my hand when I’m walking around late at night, or even when I have to stop to get gas. Just like a phone call, seeing it in your hand discourages those around you from trying anything. For the peace of mind alone, it’s worth it.

5. Be aware!

Bottom line, ladies, just always be cognizant of your surroundings. Know who is around you and where you’re going, and don’t be distracted. Looking down at your cell phone is not something you should be doing. Use those street smarts — I know you have them — and help protect yourself and those around you. Stay safe!

A lover of all things outdoors and extreme. Buffalo chicken wings are everything to me. If I'm sleeping, only the brave dare wake me up. Most of all, a lover of life.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.