Prints, Pleather, Peplums, Oh My!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’ve all done it: we’re sitting in class watching everyone walk in and you notice that one girl with the killer outfit. You can’t help but envy that great leather-accented maxi skirt she has on and how fashion forward she looks.

This quarter, forget the girl with the beautiful skirt because you’ll be the one that girls will be jealous of after a quick fall closet update.

With fall quarter progressing at full speed, it’s a good time to take a much-needed break and incorporate fall’s best fashion essentials. So here’s a rundown of the perfect fall pieces you need to have in your closet this season:

1. Color, color, color
This season, embrace the colors of the wind with burnt oranges, lots and lots of burgundy and red, beautiful blues, rich teals and greens, and eggplant purple. You can’t go wrong with any of these colors, so try to throw some into your outfit every day. For nail polish, try deep blues, greens, and gold in metallic and dark grays to keep your nails in style.

2. Peplums
It’s fall’s must-have silhouette. Pick up a peplum top and pair it with jeans for a look fit for class or with a skirt for a night out. If you like your sweatshirts and blazers, try a peplum jacket or coat – it’s more flattering than a blazer and definitely more flattering than a sweatshirt. Peplum jackets and tops instantly give any outfit fun and fashionable dimension.

3. Knit sweaters
Who doesn’t love comfy, knit sweaters in the fall? They’re always a fall staple, but this fall it’s all about having volume. Opt for a loose-fitting sweater in any color and pattern you please.

4. Printed
Feeling a little risky? Grab yourself a pair of bleached, acid-washed, or printed jeans. They might seem a little crazy, but when paired with a simple, solid colored top, you’ll create a chic outfit – one that’s perfect for class.

5. Faux Leather
I’m not a fan of faux leather because it is so hard to find nice leather look-a-likes that don’t look cheap or tacky. But this season, pleather (and leather) have been upgraded from their usual presence in handbags, boots, and jackets. You can find show-stopping faux leather pieces like shorts and skirts, as well as pleather-accented tops, skirts and accessories. If you want to add to the faux leather pieces for more of a rocker-chic look, accessorize with gold and studded accessories.

With these tips, you’ll look amazing and on-trend this fall. And who knows, maybe when you’re on top of these trends, you’ll be on top of your grades as well.

Here’s to a great and stylish fall quarter readers!

Leila is a second-year at Cal Poly, majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in graphic communication. She loves writing and is obsessed with fashion, looking to Vogue for fashion inspiration. Along with Her Campus, she represents Cal Poly's College of Liberal Arts (CLA) as a CLA Ambassador while involved in the public relations committe. She is also an active member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not writing, Leila enjoys spending time updating her blog she created, visiting the beach, and shopping with friends. She loves social media and is addicted to Twitter - @leiladurmaz
Christina Favuzzi is a junior broadcast journalism major at California Polytechnic State University in beautiful San Luis Obispo. She's originally from Santa Barbara but she loves being just up the coast in SloTown.In addition to her journalism degree, she is minoring in political science and dance.Christina is a member of the Omicrom Mu chaper of Chi Omega.Christina is an avid member of Cal Poly news media beyond HCCP. She is a multimedia journalist for Cal Poly Television and collaborates with the entire Mustang Media Group. She firmly believes this is the most exciting time to be working in journalism! Pay attention collegiettes.