Poly Places: What the Hemp?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
It’s 2016 and it’s the norm to grab your acai bowl downtown, followed by grocery shopping at your local organic market, while sporting your eco-friendly, recyclable grocery bags of course.

In downtown San Luis Obispo, students can live out the trendy eco-hip lifestyle with an abundance of sustainable shops, like the Hemp Shak.

To begin with… you’re probably wondering what hemp actually is. Believe it or not, hemp is a variety of the cannabis, yes, weed, plant. The money-making part of this plant lies in its fiber and seeds. According to employees of the Hemp Shak, hemp can make anything that plastic or petroleum makes.

Since the production and growth of Hemp is illegal in 41 of the 50 states in the U.S, Hemp Shak receives its products from areas such as India, South America and Asia. Inside the store, there is a line of clothing made by a woman in Bali. Her line is simplistic, sustainable and most importantly, comfortable. Around the Hemp Shak, you’ll find incense, string for crafting, fashion hats, totes with vibrant colors and even underwear! Hemp pretty much has you covered in sustainability from head to toe.

So what are you waiting for? Get your hemp on today!
Megan Schellong is a Journalism junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Megan loves puns, NPR, photography and running (occassionally). When she's not writing, Megan enjoys finding new music on Spotify and reading through as much of the news in her Twitter feed as possible. This year will be Megan's second year with Her Campus and she is excited for what's to come!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.