Poly Places: Human Kind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Hello SLOcals! Do you ever find yourself wanting to discover more unique, local shops downtown? As a small-town community, SLO prides itself in the market of authentic products and organic foods. Humankind, a local fair-trade store located on Monterey Street, has just what you need for supporting small businesses and personalizing your home.

From the outside, this store is humble and inviting. The exterior is painted baby blue and on the railing, succulents sit peacefully as they lead you inside.

When you walk into this cute hand-made specialties store, you’re greeted by a collection of ornaments, home furnishing pieces, woven baskets and iron-cast angel figures.

Along the walls, multi-colored hand-knit bags are hung. While the prices start at $40 and can become pricey, you’re supporting fair-trade business. Plus, some of the items sold are also eco-friendly, like the 100% organic cotton t-shirts that are uber soft and great for lounging around the house on a rainy day!

*Pro-tip: At the counter, be sure to pick up 75-cent dark chocolate squares before making your final purchases!

If Humankind does one thing best, it lives up to its name. From the hand-painted figurines to the fine bags, the amount of love and care put into these goods is one of a kind.

Megan Schellong is a Journalism junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Megan loves puns, NPR, photography and running (occassionally). When she's not writing, Megan enjoys finding new music on Spotify and reading through as much of the news in her Twitter feed as possible. This year will be Megan's second year with Her Campus and she is excited for what's to come!
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.