Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Features

3 Reasons Why College is Completely Different than High School

By Brooke Bryski
October 23, 2014 - 11:25am

1. “Popularity” is a thing of the past. Nearly everybody saw it in high school. A select group of students were viewed as royalty; they were the “popular kids.” Everybody knew who they were and everybody wanted to be them. Sound familiar?  READ MORE

13 Tips for the Best Halloween Party Ever

By Sam Snow
October 23, 2014 - 9:19am

When your roommate is an autumn enthusiast who plans for Halloween months in advance, it’s not difficult to get into the spirit of the season. But for all of us who don’t live in Halloween Town, here are some tips for throwing a smashing party this October 31st. 1. Spooky Playlist – Everything from Monster Mash to Dead Man’s Party. Don’t forget Spooky Scary Skeletons! READ MORE

This Month’s Must-See Movie: "Gone Girl "

By Savanna Goltzer
October 22, 2014 - 1:07pm

First of all, let me start this review by saying that I have a horrible case of major guilt over the fact that I did not read "Gone Girl" before I saw the movie. Normally, I’m happily the one nitpicking the differences between a book and its film adaptation or playfully judging my friends for not having read the book first. Although I am guilty of missing out on the much buzzed about Gillian Flynn novel, I can at least provide a review based purely on my reaction to its cinematic depiction. READ MORE

Drowning in Midterm Tears? BAND's Your Lifesaver

By Hannah Joslin
October 22, 2014 - 12:29pm

To the half-crazed, caffeine-infused collegiette reading this on your midterm study break, First of all, you’re not going to die. It only feels like it. Midterms can be rough and it’s hard to believe we’ve even been in school long enough to be taking them. Welcome to the quarter system, freshmen. But studying and keeping up with your busy schedule is going to be much less stressful once you figure out the secret: staying organized. Projects and assignments don’t loom over your head if you know you’ve got reminders set for study times and due dates! The perfect way to do this, along with staying connected to study groups and any other organizations that need a little help, is incorporating BAND into...

What To Do When Your Friend Says She's Suicidal

By Samantha Pryor
October 21, 2014 - 9:36am

Everyone feels sad, depressed, or angry sometimes—especially under the pressures of school, friends and family. Some people may feel sadness or hopelessness that just won’t go away, and even small problems may seem like a lot to handle for them. There is no easy way to say it; suicide is a very serious and prevalent matter. When a friend of yours communicates suicidal thoughts to you, you may not feel equipped to handle the situation properly, but the truth of the matter is, you are. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Through utilizing campus resources and trusting your intuition, you can handle the situation effectively. READ MORE

11 Signs You Live in San Luis Obispo

By Kayla Steinorth
October 21, 2014 - 9:12am

It doesn’t matter if you’re a die hard Northern Californian or a Southern California beach enthusiast – everyone knows San Luis Obispo is a little slice of heaven, and we’re proud of how special it is. It’s more than taking naps on Dexter Lawn or curing your hangover with a delicious breakfast burrito from Breakfast Buzz – but that’s a lot of it, too. If you live in this little bubble we fondly call SLO, you might recognize some of these quirks. 1. You need three to four different outfits just to get through the day because of the weather. READ MORE

Study Abroad Diaries: A Weekend in Rome

By Sophie Ratkovich
October 20, 2014 - 9:09am

If you’re traveling abroad, amongst all your weekends of European raging, you absolutely must make time to set aside at least one weekend for purely cultural and historical discovery.  Unlike the US, Europe has centuries upon centuries of brilliant and exciting history. So like me, if you are a foodie and love the tales of adventure and romance of ancient civilizations, Rome is the place for you. READ MORE

Collegiette Halloween: Should You Wear That Costume, & Other Thoughts

By Hunter Laningham
October 19, 2014 - 9:59am

Well, folks, it’s that time of year again. Halloween. And we all know what means; I mean, you’ve all seen movies. It’s all fun and games. But does anyone really stop to think about how weird collegiette Halloween is? Let’s take a funny look at the politics of Halloween costumes and then—let’s get weird. First off—costumes. Mean Girls definitely got it right when it made fun of girls for going as unnecessarily sexy versions of animals and professions, but are all girls really doing it for the sake of it, or do they just have no other choice? Take a look at the differences between the different versions of the same costume: READ MORE

6 Truths About Cheating

By Nikki Kong
October 18, 2014 - 12:00pm

So, you’ve been cheated on. Maybe you were in a committed, half-decade long relationship with your best friend *cough* me, or maybe you were in a committed, half-hour long relationship with that cute guy from physics class. Whatever the case, it happened, and now you’re hurt. As a writer, I probably can’t say anything that will make you feel better about the situation. BUT, as a sassy, self-proclaimed witty girl who’s also been cheated on, maybe I can do a little better. Here are the six most valuable things I’ve learned from my experiences:   There are different kinds of cheating. READ MORE

Surviving Fall Quarter with #HCSurvivalKits

By Aja Frost, Nesrine Faith Majzoub
October 17, 2014 - 9:08am

Photographs by Nesrine Majzoub Fall quarter isn't exactly a walk in the park—but it is a walk in the woods. For HC's Cal Poly chapter, that is. To celebrate the arrival of our Back-to-School Survival Kit, we dressed up in our best survival gear and headed to nature. Check out all of our goodies! (Cue Ciara singing, "My goodies, my goodies, my goodies, not my goodies!")  READ MORE