Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly News

6 Freshman Year Essentials You Didn't Know You Needed

By Nikki Kong
July 26, 2014 - 7:39pm

I like to think that there are two types of girls in this world: those who are packed and ready to go weeks before move-in, and those who keep telling themselves they only need three boxes and two days to get everything done. I won’t bore you with the details of which type of girl I am (*cough* the second one) but let’s just say I was missing more than a few things when I moved into the dorms freshmen year. So you can avoid (at least some of) the same mistakes as me, here’s a list of six things you’ll definitely need this year. READ MORE

Rabbits, the College Girl's Best Friend: 5 Reasons Why You Should Own a Rabbit

By Davis Neary
July 7, 2014 - 9:25am

Puppies, kittens and rabbits, oh my! As a single college student, the best way to end a long, homework-filled, over-socialized day is to cuddle with my four-year old mini Rex rabbit, Tennant. See, the nice thing about having Tennant is that he listens to my rants and watches TV with me without objection as I comment on the show. People with pets live longer, happier lives. So why not add a furry friend to your life, especially a rabbit? There are five reasons why you should own a rabbit: READ MORE

The 23 Things On Our SLO Summer Bucket List

By Kayla Steinorth
June 24, 2014 - 6:42am

Summer is here! That means sun-kissed skin, beach time and maybe a job or school. For those of you living in SLO this summer, you might be wondering, "What am I going to do with my free time???" Check out our SLO summer bucket list for ideas! 1. Take a class at the craft center 2. Hike Bishops and Madonna 3. Do the Tri-Tip Tri-Top challenge 4. Get an acai bowl from Sally Loos (YUM) READ MORE

17 things a Cal Poly first-year thinks

By Hannah Joslin
June 18, 2014 - 3:01pm

1. I haven't said the Pledge of Allegiance in, like, a year. 2. I can't believe I have a 7 a.m. class right now. Is the world even awake? 3. Look, a turkey! Wait ... five turkeys! READ MORE

The Ten Things You Do That Drive Baristas Crazy

By Melissa Fernald
June 13, 2014 - 6:19pm

As a person who has worked on and off in the coffee business for the past four years, I often joke that I will be making coffee for the rest of my life. While working at a coffee shop does have its perks (free coffee, for starters) there are definitely some downsides. Most of these problems arise from dealing with customers.  I have compiled a list of guidelines that every coffee consumer should abide by in order to make you and your barista's days a whole lot brighter. READ MORE

How to Jump-Start Your Career This Summer

By Anuja Argade
June 12, 2014 - 2:00pm

Whether your summer plans consist of exciting road trips with your girls or snuggling in bed watching Shark Tank with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch wrapped tightly in your arms, I have some advice for you. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, you can get a head start on your career by polishing up your professional side. Here are some effortless ways to build a solid portfolio that you can whip out whenever you need! READ MORE

The Unspoken Rules of Instagram

By Arinee Rahman
June 11, 2014 - 9:45am

Disclaimer: There is no Instagram police out there in the world (yet), so feel free to rebel and break any of these rules as you wish. You do you.  In the words of the lovely and beautifully written song "#SELFIE" by The Chainsmokers, “Can you guys help me pick a filter? I don’t know if I should go with XX Pro or Valencia. I wanna look tan.” As basic as that sounds, lets just take a moment right now to admit the fact that we all do this. READ MORE

8 Reasons Being Single During Summer Rocks

By Brittany Graham
June 10, 2014 - 11:29am

We constantly go through this emotional roller coaster of seasons that remind us that we're single. We have cold winter nights that are supposed to be for cuddles and hot cocoa and summer days are to be made up of sunbathing and adventuring with your amazing "man crush monday". In all honesty, is that really worth it? Is being single really that bad? READ MORE

Finals Week Files: Best On-Campus Study Spots

By Hannah Joslin
June 9, 2014 - 7:37pm

Studying doesn’t always have to be the caffeine-infused anxiety attack many, many students have experienced. Studying can actually be relaxing, a break from running around all day. We all know it can be impossible to study in your dorm, so where can you go on campus to dedicate an hour or two to productivity? READ MORE

Internship Do's and Don'ts

By Frances Griffey
June 9, 2014 - 11:01am

You’ve submitted the applications, made the phone calls, sent the emails and endured the interviews. After the waiting game is done and you snag that summer internship, all that’s left to do now (besides jumping up and down in glee, of course) is to prepare. Don’t make any rookie mistakes. Here’s our guide to internship etiquette: Don’t be late This one’s a no-brainer. You don’t want to show up late on your first (or any) day of work. You need to be professional and show you care about the job you’re doing by arriving on time everyday. READ MORE