Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Features

DANGER: Yik Yak

By Kayla Steinorth
October 31, 2014 - 6:41pm

We’ve all been there: you’re standing in line for Starbucks with just 15 minutes until class and the line is twenty people long. Inevitably, you're bored and you pull out your phone and scroll along until… Yik Yak--that time-consuming, guilty pleasure app. It's like Twitter, but crazier because it comes with the promise that you can yak whatever you want (anonymously) without consequence. Not possibly harmful at all, right?! READ MORE

Match Made in Heaven: A Tinder Tale

By Davis Neary
October 30, 2014 - 12:32pm

Launched in May of 2011, Tinder made matchmaking more universal than ever. By connecting each user with a Facebook account, Tinder creates profiles with ages, pictures, and short bios for other users to view. Once somebody views another person’s profile, the user will have the choice to swipe right (interested) or left (not interested). Although the app has been quite successful, Tinder has often been labeled as a “hookup” app, due to its superficial and racy content. Yet, there has been the occasional glimmer of hope. Here are three true stories of real-life Tinderellas and Prince Tinders who got more than a single night of happily ever after. 1. Right Swiped READ MORE

5 Ways to Rock Your Next Interview

By Avrah Baum
October 29, 2014 - 1:23pm

1. Do your homework. Take a few minutes before the interview to research what the company does. It sounds like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at the amount of people that go into interviews having no idea of what they’re even interviewing for. Having a solid background about the company will prepare you to answer possible questions they may ask you, and knowing that you prepared ahead of time will put your nerves at ease! 2. Dress to impress. READ MORE

I'm a Skinny B*tch & Here's What I Think Of 'All About That Bass'

By Madison Rightmire
October 28, 2014 - 10:30pm

Skinny bitch. Honestly, I would not even be writing this were it not for the phrase “skinny bitches” in Meghan Trainor’s hit song “All About That Bass.” The song is catchy, upbeat, fun—it gets stuck in my head and makes me want to dance! And yet, two words stuck out at me and made me question the whole thing. It’s a strange notion to me that with recent attitudes towards the word “bitch”—it seems to have been officially classified as an offensive, demeaning, sexist word—that to pair it with a word that judges women based on their appearance is still OK. It made me look up the lyrics to read more thoroughly; it made me look up the music video to watch with a wary eye; it made me...

The Look Your Mother Hates: How to Rock the Dark Lip

By Nicole Moore
October 28, 2014 - 12:46pm

Many fashion magazines with tell you fall is an opportune time to rock dark lipstick. This is much to my mother’s chagrin, however, as she visibly gets upset each time she sees me wearing burgundy, ox-blood or purple lipstick. READ MORE

Friend Zone or Danger Zone? A Collegiette's Response to the Washington Shootings

By Brooke Bryski
October 27, 2014 - 4:23pm

On April 25, 2014, a young man stabbed a girl to death at a Connecticut high school. The reason? She had refused to go to prom with him. On May 23, 2014, a young man went on a shooting spree in Isla Vista, California. He killed six people and injured thirteen as a way of seeking revenge upon women who did not want to date him. On October 24, 2014, a young man brought a gun to his high school in Washington state and used it to shoot six students, killing two of them. Why? A young girl decided that she did not want to date him. READ MORE

5 Ways to Love Yourself

By Morgan Kavanagh
October 27, 2014 - 1:54pm

Fall is finally showing its face in San Luis Obispo, but it’s also midterm week. We have to make that hard decision to go to either the pumpkin patch or the library. With all of your thoughts revolving around midterms, it can be easy to get caught up and overwhelmed. So take a break and look at these five ways to love yourself so you can embrace the fall and start feeling happier. 1.    Let go of the things you can’t change and focus on those you can. READ MORE

6 Ways to Display Your Travel Pics

By Frances Griffey
October 26, 2014 - 9:59am

Are full memory cards and camera lenses cluttering your desk after your recent trip? Regardless of where you went or how big or small the journey was, your adventure had to be documented by somebody, right? Now you’ve ended up with hundreds of photos gathering dust in cyberspace. Join the club. Instead of letting your gorgeous pictures wither away in useless folders on the computer, get creative and display them for the world to see. Here are a few ideas: Put Them On Social Media READ MORE

Thou Shalt Not Covet: Why We Shouldn't Compare Our Bodies

By Hunter Laningham
October 25, 2014 - 9:56am

Here’s a story to begin: READ MORE

Players Gonna Play: 5 Signs He's Not Serious

By Cal Poly Contributor
October 24, 2014 - 9:49am

If you’re like me, you’d honestly rather spend your time trying to work out Calc 4 homework than try to understand how the male species thinks. The biggest question: is he into me or not? Well here are 5 simple signs that he just ain’t feeling you: READ MORE