Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly Features

Bored of Netflix? Try these 5 New Fall Shows

By Melanie VandenBerghe
September 30, 2014 - 9:10am

There’s always lots of new beginnings and transitions to be dealt with in the fall: the start of a new school year, the shift from hot summer days to brisk sweater weather and the addition of a heavy new course load after three months of blissful fun in the sun. One thing that never fails to ease our pain, however, is fall pilot season. As we’ve learned in college, no assignment can ever really be completed without a few breaks to catch up on our favorite TV shows. Here’s a list of the top 5 hottest new pilots this fall: prepare to happily procrastinate away. 1. Red Band Society READ MORE

Everything You Need to Know About Studying Abroad

By Frances Griffey
September 29, 2014 - 9:23am

It’s that time of year again. As school starts back up, you get to hear about where all your friends went over summer; family vacations to Mexico, backpacking trips around Europe, volunteering in Africa. Maybe you ungrudgingly stayed home, or maybe you were lucky and snuck away for a few weeks yourself. Regardless, you’ve got that undeniable itch to travel. Satisfy your wanderlust while getting school credit by studying abroad! READ MORE

The 6 Types of Girls You See at the Rec

By Aja Frost
September 28, 2014 - 9:36am

If you've ever set just a sneaker-ed toe inside Cal Poly's Rec Center, you'll have met one or more those people... 1. The Girl Who’s Not Aware She’s at the Gym  READ MORE

5 Free Apps Every Working Collegiette Needs

By Frances Mylod-Vargas
September 25, 2014 - 9:23am

In this day and age, women are taking the work force by storm. I am constantly hearing of more girls pursuing impressive job opportunities or landing amazing internships. However, whether you’re a barista at a local Starbucks or working a 9-5 job in San Francisco, these apps will help you organize your life and perform any task well. READ MORE

Ins & Outs of Menstrual Cups (and Why You'll Want One ASAP)

By Sam Snow
September 24, 2014 - 12:34pm

Pads vs. tampons. Whichever your preference, the choice has always seemed so black and white. But a newcomer is upsetting the established order; a product to challenge generations of menstrual products before it; the period solution for rebels: the menstrual cup.  This summer I embarked on a strange new journey in feminine hygiene when I purchased the DivaCup. Fueled by anger over a leaky tampon and general frustration with that-time-of-the-month, I researched better feminine hygiene products and came across the menstrual cup. READ MORE

How to Keep Your Eyebrow Game Strong

By Arinee Rahman
September 8, 2014 - 1:40pm

Ever realize you always feel better after getting your eyebrows done? Eyebrows are a way of life. If your eyebrows are on point, your life is on point. That’s because the way your eyebrow looks can change the appearance of your whole face. The shape of your eyebrow is everything. (And no, we're not exaggerating.) Here are some ways to keep your eyebrow game strong: Choose how you want to do your eyebrows. READ MORE

A Thank You Letter to Robin Williams

By Hannah Joslin
August 13, 2014 - 3:30pm

Our generation has not had much of a chance to grow up with our admired actors quite yet. There are only a few that we can say have been part of our lives since the beginning. For me, this small group includes Tom Hanks (thanks for being Woody, Castaway Chuck Noland, Forrest Gump and Walt Disney) and Robin Williams.           To our admired Mr. Williams, READ MORE

5 Things NOT to Bring to College

By Davis Neary
August 5, 2014 - 8:56am

So you have officially graduated from high school and are getting ready to start your college career. First off, congrats! High school is a huge hurdle everyone must jump to get to adulthood. And you survived it.  Now before you get ready to start your college chapter of your life, we would like to bestow some little gems of our college wisdom to you and tell you the five things you definitely shouldn't  pack for college. 1) Your Cool Card READ MORE

5 Things NOT to Bring to College

By Davis Neary
August 5, 2014 - 8:55am

6 Freshman Year Essentials You Didn't Know You Needed

By Nikki Kong
July 26, 2014 - 7:39pm

I like to think that there are two types of girls in this world: those who are packed and ready to go weeks before move-in, and those who keep telling themselves they only need three boxes and two days to get everything done. I won’t bore you with the details of which type of girl I am (*cough* the second one) but let’s just say I was missing more than a few things when I moved into the dorms freshmen year. So you can avoid (at least some of) the same mistakes as me, here’s a list of six things you’ll definitely need this year. READ MORE