Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly News

8 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

By Julia Mousavi
April 23, 2014 - 1:31am

Happy Earth Day! April 22 is Earth Day — an important day that should be celebrated! But how? Here are some ways to celebrate the Earth today (or maybe any day): 1. Cook a vegan or vegetarian meal READ MORE

Treats for the Easter Bunny: Easter Desserts

By Lindsey Day
April 20, 2014 - 12:20pm

Easter Sunday is the perfect time to whip out your baking utensils and bake a delectable dessert to share with your loved ones. The whimsical nature of this pagan celebration allows room for creativity with dessert flavor and design. Whether you are visiting family at home or celebrating Easter with friends, these tasty Easter treats will impress those at your gathering. There are many traditional favorites, as well as clever creations you can whip up this Easter Sunday to surely satisfy your sweet tooth. Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs READ MORE

Find Your Summer Internship with the 'Tinder for Jobs'

By Kayla Missman
April 20, 2014 - 9:00am

Yes, you read that right. Swiping left and right isn’t just for dating anymore — it’s also for jobs and internships. The app Dapsity works the same way as Tinder; you swipe right to save jobs and left to delete ones you don’t want. And you could swipe for days (literally), as there are more than 1 million jobs in more than 50 countries. Just how does it work? Connect with LinkedIn and Facebook, because it really is about who you know. You can search for relevant jobs, and then start swiping! READ MORE

A Tinderella Story: Three Days of Online Dating

By Aja Frost
April 18, 2014 - 9:00am

Have you heard the news? Modern dating is dead. In the past three days, I’ve seen four different articles on my Facebook feed about the college hook-up culture, all bemoaning its absence of intimacy, honesty and commitment. Apparently, one of the biggest culprits to blame for this transformation is social media. READ MORE

How to Successfully Friend-Zone a Boy

By Arinee Rahman
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

Oh no, he’s walking towards me. Crap. Okay, what do I do? What are my options? I guess I could make a run for it. But I’m pretty sure he’s already seen me; I can’t run now. Wow, I really regret not wearing my camouflage outfit today — I could’ve blended right in with these bushes. Maybe today’s the day I straight up tell him that I’m not interested. Ha, who am I kidding, I know I’ll never have the guts to do that. Maybe this time he won’t hug me. Okay, here he comes. Just take a deep breath, and try to act like you’re not interested at all. Great. Perfect. He hugged me. No no no, I do not want to go on a date with you. WHY DID I JUST SAY YES? READ MORE

My Skin Cancer Scare

By Juliet Saunders
April 17, 2014 - 9:00am

I've always had pale skin, and unfortunately it is common to have moles with pale skin. It kind of runs in my family — we all have moles. A lot of people have moles. I found myself wishing as I got older than my moles would just disappear. I thought they were ugly, but now I've learned how to deal with them and don't find them particularly ugly anymore. If you're like me, having moles comes with a lot of responsibility. The more you go out without sunscreen, the more moles you're likely to get. Growing up, my mom tried to make me wear sunscreen every day and everywhere. Unfortunately, until a few years ago, I only listened to her when I went to the pool or beach. READ MORE

The Dos and Don'ts of Social Media

By Shelley Westerson
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

Nowadays our lives seem to be run by social media. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are a daily addiction for most college students, as we constantly upload content and stalk people we like or are curious about. Social media has made personal privacy a thing of the past and whether we like it or not, our personal lives have now become public knowledge. Does this freak you out? No worries; here are the do’s and don’ts of social media to keep yourself in check. DO: Post a cute profile pic of yourself. For example, use that awesome shot of you doing a back flip off a dock or the randomly good picture a friend took of you. Selfies are 100 percent acceptable in the profile picture realm, and should be posted without any shame!...

10 Things To Do Before The School Year Ends

By Julia Tettamanzi
April 15, 2014 - 2:05pm

If you ask a graduating senior for words of wisdom, they'll probably tell you that college flew by, so you should savor every moment. But it's easy to get caught up in routine and not explore the many pleasures of college. The best way to avoid this is to make a bucket list. Lucky for you, we can help. Here are 10 things to do before the school year ends: 1. Continue working on that beach body As we all know, bikini season is soon to arrive. Whether you’ve been hitting the gym every day or want to, now is the time to do so. Make a healthy change, but still feel comfortable in your own body — whatever size you love.  READ MORE

The Benefits of Being Outdoors

By Morgan Geiger
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Luckily for us, San Luis Obispo offers beautiful landscapes with a variety of hiking trails and other outdoor activities. Not only is the natural beauty aesthetically pleasing, but there are also some surprising health benefits. Vitamin D READ MORE

The Term All Collegiettes Should Immediately Stop Saying

By Aja Frost
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

“Oh my god, look over to the left,” my friend whispered. I turned my head and saw a girl, scantily clad in what was obviously last night’s sequined dress and spindly heels, climbing out of a guy’s truck. It was 10:30 in the morning. We watched her disappear into her dorm room. And then my friend said the words I’d been hoping I wouldn’t hear, the ones that had made me unobtrusively cross my fingers in an attempt to ward them off. “She’s doing the walk of shame!” The. Walk. Of. Shame. READ MORE