Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Cal Poly News

The Dos and Don'ts of Social Media

By Shelley Westerson
April 16, 2014 - 9:00am

Nowadays our lives seem to be run by social media. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are a daily addiction for most college students, as we constantly upload content and stalk people we like or are curious about. Social media has made personal privacy a thing of the past and whether we like it or not, our personal lives have now become public knowledge. Does this freak you out? No worries; here are the do’s and don’ts of social media to keep yourself in check. DO: Post a cute profile pic of yourself. For example, use that awesome shot of you doing a back flip off a dock or the randomly good picture a friend took of you. Selfies are 100 percent acceptable in the profile picture realm, and should be posted without any shame!...

10 Things To Do Before The School Year Ends

By Cal Poly Contributor
April 15, 2014 - 2:05pm

If you ask a graduating senior for words of wisdom, they'll probably tell you that college flew by, so you should savor every moment. But it's easy to get caught up in routine and not explore the many pleasures of college. The best way to avoid this is to make a bucket list. Lucky for you, we can help. Here are 10 things to do before the school year ends: 1. Continue working on that beach body As we all know, bikini season is soon to arrive. Whether you’ve been hitting the gym every day or want to, now is the time to do so. Make a healthy change, but still feel comfortable in your own body — whatever size you love.  READ MORE

The Benefits of Being Outdoors

By Morgan Geiger
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Luckily for us, San Luis Obispo offers beautiful landscapes with a variety of hiking trails and other outdoor activities. Not only is the natural beauty aesthetically pleasing, but there are also some surprising health benefits. Vitamin D READ MORE

The Term All Collegiettes Should Immediately Stop Saying

By Aja Frost
April 14, 2014 - 9:00am

“Oh my god, look over to the left,” my friend whispered. I turned my head and saw a girl, scantily clad in what was obviously last night’s sequined dress and spindly heels, climbing out of a guy’s truck. It was 10:30 in the morning. We watched her disappear into her dorm room. And then my friend said the words I’d been hoping I wouldn’t hear, the ones that had made me unobtrusively cross my fingers in an attempt to ward them off. “She’s doing the walk of shame!” The. Walk. Of. Shame. READ MORE

Creative Recipes for Spring Produce

By Frances Griffey
April 13, 2014 - 9:00am

You can get almost any produce at the grocery store, but how can you tell what’s actually fresh and local from what’s been imported from a country halfway across the world? Luckily, we're fortunate enough to live in an area that has an amazingly diverse farmers' market. This week, wander through the booths at Farmers' to scope out what’s available right now. Whether you make it to a fresh market or just the grocery store down the street, be sure to explore the fruits and veggies prime for the taking this season. Instead of picking up the usual basket of strawberries or bag of apples, branch out and try some of these unconventional must-haves for spring. 1. Artichokes READ MORE

How to Plan the Perfect Beach Day

By Lindsey Day
April 12, 2014 - 9:00am

Nothing quite compares to the feeling of the warm sun on your skin and the slight chill of water on your toes. With sunny weather fast approaching, there is only one place you are going to want to be: the beach! Why stay cooped up in your apartment when you are lucky enough to live in San Luis Obispo, where numerous beaches are just a short drive from campus. Your school workload will inevitably increase and eat your days away, and you will only be able to dream of the days when you were able to go to the beach. Make your time at the beach even more satisfying by preparing ahead of time for the perfect beach day! READ MORE

Spring Break Adventures: Los Padres National Forest

By Kaylee Bingham
April 11, 2014 - 9:00am

Spring break: the week every college student looks forward to. They envision themselves on the beach somewhere tropical, spending time with friends or going home to spend time with family. It’s the cliché week represented in movies as a nonstop party. However, for my friends and me, it was quite the opposite. We decided to go on a backpacking trip in Los Padres National Forest. We had a great time, but it was definitely not the stereotypical college spring break. READ MORE

Staying Safe (and Stylish) in the Sun

By Sam Snow
April 10, 2014 - 9:00am

After recently having abnormal blemishes removed by my dermatologist (ouch!), I realized that skin care is no joke. Sure, we all care for our faces — washing, moisturizing and maybe even putting on sunscreen occasionally — but what about the rest of our bodies? As the weather warms up in San Luis Obispo and the outdoors become irresistible, don’t hesitate to keep your skin protected. Fortunately, taking care of your skin doesn’t require sacrificing style. 1. Sunglasses   READ MORE

New Quarter, New Music: 6 Artists to Check Out

By Julia Mousavi
April 10, 2014 - 8:00am

It's always a good time to listen to new music, especially when you're trying to get into the groove of spring quarter. Check out some of these artists and enjoy! Monsters of Folk Genre: Indie folk If you like Mumford and Sons, you’ll definitely like this indie folk band called Monsters of Folk. The songs are very relaxing to listen to and the band members (Conor Oberst, M. Ward, Jim James, and Mike Mogis) all have excellent voices. READ MORE

4 Spring Quarter Resolutions for Everyone

By Heather Fissel
April 9, 2014 - 5:37pm

Spring is here! It's time to go over some universal resolutions every girl should start implementing during this season of re-growth. 1. Get organized We’re in the home stretch of the school year, and summer is near. These past two long quarters of school might have done some damage to your organizational skills. Spring is a refreshing time of the year and also the perfect time to straighten up your dorm room or organize your apartment. Throw out papers from last quarter’s COMS class and sell some of your textbooks back for pocket money! In addition to feeling good about starting off the last quarter of the year with a clean room and desk, your grades will also thank you! 2. Eat healthier READ...