Meet a Safer Student Assistant: Campus Celebrity Riley Hasche

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Name: Riley Hasche

Hometown: San Diego, California

Major: Wine and Viticulture

Senior Riley Hasche is a student assistant at Cal Poly’s Safer. Safer is our campus’s main resource and counseling center for the prevention of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking. Riley is also currently heading Safer’s six week advocatory training offered to students each quarter.

During each weekly session, Riley provides resources and information to help volunteers further their understanding of sexual violence in order to be more involved with the movement against sexual assault and dating violence.

HC: How did you get involved with Safer?

RH: I remember seeing Safer presentations during WOW week my freshman year and thinking I needed to be a part of it. I went through advocacy training and become a student assistant.

HC: What is your favorite part about working for Safer?

RH: I just find the whole experience extremely rewarding. I’m very passionate about the work we do.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

RH: Oh no, I really don’t like that question! Okay let’s see, I’ll be 26 at that point. I would like to live in a place I’ve never been before and doing something I’m really passionate about. I realize that’s kind of vague, but that’s all I’ve got.

HC: If you could time travel to any time period, where would you go?

RH: I would definitely go to the late 1960s. Going to Woodstock would be amazing. Imagine seeing all those bands live!

HC: What do you do in your free time?

RH: I love yoga and running.

HC: Do you have any advice for your freshman self?

RH: I would say to get involved with as many things as possible, as soon as possible.

HC: If you could only eat one food your entire life, what would it be?

RH: I would probably say avocados.

HC: What are some interesting facts about yourself?

RH: Well, I pole-vaulted my freshman and sophomore here at Cal Poly. Also I was born in North Dakota, so that’s different.

I am a 3rd year English here at Cal Poly. I have a passions for all things pop culture, dogs and feminism.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8