The Lady Behind the Lens: Nesrine Faith Majzoub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet fascinating photographer and videographer Nesrine Faith Majzoub, a sociology major and religious studies minor from Fairfield, CA.

What is your dream job?

That’s a hard question. I’ve been playing and writing music with some friends in a band back home for a while, so living in a van, eating Taco Bell, touring the world, playing music, and meeting people has always been a dream for me.

I also think it would be cool to work with people in different countries. As of late, I’ve been really interested in the political situation in The Middle East– lots of refugees there. I just want to talk to people on their level and maybe bring a little hope. I have a lot of family that lives in Lebanon and so I love visiting them and attempting to learn Arabic.

What is your favorite memory from your first year at cal poly?

I was only about a month and a half into my first year at CP and a few brand new friends and I drove down to Ventura to see twenty one pilots and then go to SB for the soccer game the next day. twenty one pilots is my favorite band and it was my first time seeing them. The venue was sweet and we got to talk with them afterwards and I love soccer, so the SB game was fun stuff.

Who would play you in a movie about your life?

Michael Cera with a mustache.

What is your personal anthem?

“Trees” by Twenty One Pilots, “I Forget Where We Were” by Ben Howard, “Work Song” by Hozier, “Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap

What is your favorite thing to do in SLO?

Think about how freaking beautiful it is, watch the sunset, look at the stars, drink caffeine at Linnaea’s, go to Montana De Oro,

What’s your favorite pastime?

PEOPLE I LOVE THEM

You have a time travel machine for 48 hours, where are you going to go?

Convivencia. 10th century Spain. Convivencia means “living along side one another” and it was one of the few, perhaps only time in history where Jews, Christians and Muslims lived in complete, productive harmony with one another. There was a large emphasis on education for all, music, poetry and learning together.

What’s your favorite food?

Honestly, probably cereal. It hits the spot.

If you could be any fictional character, who would you be?

Any air-bender or wizard. Or Patrick Star.

What’s your favorite movie?

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It’s so inspiring and beautifully made. It’s also the reason why it’s my dream to backpack Iceland in a few years.

If you could co-star with anyone in a movie, who would it be and what’s the genre?

I like to be behind the camera better. I like having an image in my head and then creating it.

Ideal adventure?

A few friends and I backpacking any country/continent with absolutely no plans or expectations.

Ideal date?

In-n-Out and a picnic in the mountains or on the cliffs of a beach.

What would you do with a million dollars?

Probably give a lot of it away. Why should I spend it all on luxury for myself when there are people that don’t have basic needs?

What are your favorite qualities in a person- physical and personality-wise?

Physically, eyes are really fascinating to me. In terms of personality, I love seeing someone that is extremely passionate about what they are doing/what they want to do. I love watching people talk about what they are passionate about.

What’s your favorite thing about Cal Poly/ SLO?

The way it feels like home to me, the sun hitting the hills just right, the people I’ve met.

What’s one piece of advice you would give to incoming freshmen?

Do you. Everybody is different, everybody is broken in their own unique ways, everybody is wonderful in their own unique ways. Dream big. Don’t judge, don’t worry, just do what feels right to you.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

HAHAHA great question. Who freakin’ knows.                      

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8