How to Wake Up On the Right Side of the Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s face it. As college students, the majority of us are not morning people. We would rather stay curled up in our warm beds instead of getting up and going to class! At some point in your college career, you more than likely will have to take a morning class. So rather than dreading every morning, here are some tips to learn to have a better one!

1. Leave that phone alone!

Our phones nowadays never seem to be too far away from us. This can be a great advantage, but in the morning, put it away for at least 15 minutes. After turning off the alarm and checking your email to see if your class got canceled (in that case, go right back to bed my friend!), pretend your phone doesn’t exist. Focus on your morning and what you need to do to get ready for your day. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and any other social media site can wait until you feel like you are fully awake.

2. Wash Away the Sleep

Washing your face is one of the best things you can do in the morning. Having a fresh face can really pull you out of the sleep mode you may still be in.  Not only does it wake you up, but it washes away what has built up on your skin overnight. There are tons of brands that have face washes specifically for the morning, some even with brightly colored massage beads! But, even if you just use a mild soap, washing your face is a great way to take on the morning by putting your best face forward!

3. Be Sure to Eat

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A lot of girls don’t have breakfast in the morning because they feel they just don’t have time to sit down and eat. Your body would beg to differ! If you ate dinner between the hours of 6 and 8 PM and you wake up at 8 AM, that could be over 12 hours that your body has gone without being replenished! Food is energy so you cannot expect to have energy for your morning classes without having eaten. Breakfast does not have to be the typical sit-down at the kitchen table breakfast either. Eating an apple and a granola bar as you walk to class is breakfast multi-tasked!

4. Stretch

This may seem obvious and it often isn’t given the attention it deserves in the morning. A simple arms-over-head stretch is a perfect way to release your muscles that have been dormant while sleeping. Waking up your body is just as important as waking up your mind. After getting out of bed, try a few slow spine twists and be sure to stretch out your arms and legs! Your body will thank you.

5. Smile!

The best way to have a positive morning is to think positive. When you get up and stretch, think about how amazing you will look and feel in the outfit you know will turn heads. While eating breakfast, think about how much you can and will get done today, instead of feeling like nothing can be accomplished. A positive attitude in the morning can have an effect that last well throughout the day!

So rise and shine, ladies! The world awaits!

Hayley is a second year English Major at Cal Poly. When she's not reading or studying for classes, she love baking, cooking, eating the said items which she has baked and cooked, listening to music and wandering around campus to find her new favorite spot. She am an avid tea drinker and tea cake eater; you can normally find her downtown at Scout or Linnaea's on the weekends. She is also a fantatic Pinterest-er and her DIY board is ever growing! She is hoping to go abroad next year to the UK and explore Europe during her time abroad. Also meeting Benedict Cumberbatch would be a plus of going there... If you ever see her around campus, don't be shy to come and chat about anything, whether it be music, food, the smell of the pavement aftter rain, or Benedict himself! 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu