How to Plan the Perfect Beach Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Nothing quite compares to the feeling of the warm sun on your skin and the slight chill of water on your toes. With sunny weather fast approaching, there is only one place you are going to want to be: the beach! Why stay cooped up in your apartment when you are lucky enough to live in San Luis Obispo, where numerous beaches are just a short drive from campus. Your school workload will inevitably increase and eat your days away, and you will only be able to dream of the days when you were able to go to the beach. Make your time at the beach even more satisfying by preparing ahead of time for the perfect beach day!

Select the location: There are so many wonderful beaches to choose from in San Luis Obispo, so be sure to select the best one to fit your needs. If you want a colder, less crowded beach with a great view, head to Morro Strand State Beach in Morro Bay. If you’re looking for a more private beach with sea anemones, make your way to Shell Beach. If you fancy a typical sun-tanning beach full of college students, go to Avila Beach. If you feel like a large beach with many food options available and countless species of birds, go to Pismo Beach.

Check the weather: While everyone has their own opinion on perfect beach weather, it’s pretty universal that sun makes for a better experience. High 70s and 80s with lots of sun is ideal beach weather, with the water temperature being colder than the temperature outside. Ensure the weather forecast does not include rain, or you will be unable to set up camp on the beach and relax. Also make sure the weather forecast does not include wind, or it will make the temperature outside feel about 10 degrees colder.

Pick a time: The best time to get a suntan is when the sun is at its peak, which lasts from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. However, this is also the most dangerous time to be outside. Unless you lather on sunscreen, try avoid going to the beach between these times if possible.

Pack a lunch: There are very limited food options surrounding most beaches in San Luis Obispo County, so it is best to come prepared with lunch. Remember to also bring bottles of partially frozen water for cool drinking water. Pack the bottles with your lunch to keep your lunch chilled and fresh. Finger foods like sandwiches, fruit and crackers are great components for a beach lunch because they do not require plates or utensils, which is ideal for lying in the sand.

Bring the essentials: In addition to a lunch, do not forget to bring a shade umbrella and towel to the beach to set up the ideal resting place. Be sure to also bring a swimsuit, lots of sunscreen and sunglasses to protect yourself from the harsh rays of the sun. For some entertainment at the beach, consider bringing a beach ball, a Frisbee or even a pack of playing cards. It is also a good idea to bring a camera to take pictures of the fun times you will have at the beach. Just be sure to keep it in a case when not in use to protect it from the sand!

Relax: Now that you have prepared the perfect beach day and are lying on the beach, take a moment to enjoy the fresh air and soak in your surroundings. You are lucky enough to live in a place that is just a short drive to the beach. Treasure the moment while you have it, as you may very likely end up living in a place without easy access to a beach when your college days are over and you have moved away from the wondrous San Luis Obispo.

Lindsey Day is a third-year biological sciences major and volunteer with the Cal Poly Cat Program. She has a passion for science and law. Lindsey dreams of one day helping to eradicate an infectious disease as well as becoming a forensic scientist. She also loves photography, exploring nature, cooking, and going to comic book conventions.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.