How to Feel More Awake (Without Drinking More Coffee!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I have a confession: I don’t like coffee. I remember the day my hatred for the brown liquid started. I was little and mistook my mother’s coffee for my hot chocolate. Big mistake. Ever since then, I’ve harbored an intense dislike for seemingly everyone else’s favorite drink. Trust me, I’ve tried it in many forms: with loads of sugar and milk, caramel, iced and in frappuccinos. But my taste bugs won’t budge.

So how do you stay awake when coffee makes you gag or you’re trying to wean yourself off the addicting stuff? Here’s some ways to stay awake sans coffee.

Sleep

Not getting enough sleep is — no surprise — going to make you tired. College students are constantly staying up until the wee hours of the morning or pulling all-nighters in order to finish homework, party or, let’s be honest, watching Netflix. Be sure to get around eight hours of sleep each night to keep your brain sharp. Even taking short naps throughout the day can help boost energy.

Tea

If you want to get away from coffee but still crave something hot in the mornings, brew a steaming cup of tea as a substitute. Try black tea, as they are especially high in caffeine (and taste delicious). Green teas are less powerful but have a small dose of caffeine as well.

Drink More H20

Drinking water throughout the day will not only keep you hydrated, but will also increase energy levels. Try gulping down ice-cold H20 as often as possible and see the difference it can make.

Exercise

Right when you wake up, do some sort of exercise before leaving the bedroom. Whether it be a few minutes of easy yoga or a set of ten jumping jacks, getting your muscles moving and heart pumping early on in the day will immediately wake you up.

Vitamin B

Vitamin B, specifically B12, aids in converting carbohydrates to glucose, which the body uses as energy to stay alert. Take it in the morning before work or school to ward off fatigue. Trader Joe’s sells a great under the tongue B12 supplement that dissolves in your mouth and is actually pretty tasty.

Sniff Some Citrus

There’s something about the smell of citrus that is strangely invigorating. Start using citrus-scented body wash, lotion or perfume to stimulate your senses and keep you alert. (Plus, you’ll smell amazing all day long!)

Eat Brain Food

Obviously, eating a decent breakfast is necessary to ward of stomach grumbles and drooping eyelids during 8 a.m. classes. But stocking a few carbs, high protein, and glucose-packed snacks in your bag (like almonds, hard-boiled eggs and bananas with peanut butter) to munch on between lectures will keep your belly satisfied and your brain functioning.

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu