How to Earn Extra Cash in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Being in college doesn’t mean you have to cry every time you open your bank statement. There are plenty of ways to fund the late-night pizza and weekend road trips that inevitably come with being in college, even if you’re too busy for a part-time job. These are some great options for earning quick cash in your spare time, and they’re worth a try: some of them require almost no time investment at all!

Tutor

You didn’t get into college just for your extra-curriculars and SAT scores. Chances are, you’re probably pretty good at a certain subject, and there are people willing to pay good money to have you teach it to them. Try reaching out to your school’s academic services department to see if they’re hiring tutors, and if they’re not, spread the word on social media that you’re available to people needing help!

Sell your clothes

March yourself over to the nearest Buffalo Exchange and sell them your clothes that are clean and lightly used but so last season. Or, if you prefer to sell old clothes from the comfort of your own couch, you can try using online sites like Poshmark, Twice, and Tradesy.

Dogsit

Who doesn’t miss the company of animals when living in the dorms? Parting from your pooch is definitely one of the hardest things about leaving for college, but dogsitting can make it a little easier. Plus, depending on how many clients you rack up, you could make up to $75 per day.

Rent out your car

This definitely isn’t a good option if your parents just bought a brand new car for grocery shopping. However, if all you like about your car is that it gets you from point A to point B, consider renting it out to someone who needs a ride for a few hours. You can register your vehicle on sites like RelayRides and GetAround, and boom: you’ve made thirty dollars just by handing over your keys.

Design things for Etsy

There’s no better way to de-stress from midterms and finals by creating a piece of art – and why not get paid while you’re at it? Set up a shop on Etsy, spread the word and put your talent to good use!

Run errands

If you’re quick, productive and love the satisfying feeling of checking things off a list, this job is for you. Register with TaskRabbit.com and you can be called on to do a number of odd jobs, including shopping, housecleaning and handyman work in your free time.

Edit/proofread

Can’t stand the sight of a misplaced comma or an absent apostrophe? Apply for a freelance editing job online or post an ad on Craigslist offering your services! You can find listings for freelance editors on sites like indeed.com and flexjobs.com. Make sure you register with the Editorial Freelancers Association for referrals!

Host marketing parties

Yeah, you read that right: Get paid for hosting a party. And not the kind of party that keeps you up until 4 a.m. scrubbing vomit from your kitchen sink, either. If you’re passionate about a brand, love talking to people and know the ins and outs of sales, reach out to a company that you’d like to work with. There are some great resources for hosting marketing parties online to help you get started.

I like iced coffee, red lipstick, good books, short runs, Korean rap, big dogs, warm weather, funny people and cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Writing is fun too, I guess.  Find me on Twitter: [at]cseiter17. 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu