How to ACTUALLY Keep Your NY’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Ah, New Year’s resolutions: good ideas in December, promises in January and abandoned dreams by February.

We always envision ourselves keeping our New Year’s resolutions and becoming a whole new version of ourselves by the end of the year. If you’re anything like me, you know that ship usually sails by the third week of Winter Quarter. This past year, however, I discovered some methods that really helped me stay on top of my goals and see results.

First, figure out WHY you picked certain resolutions. Are these changes within yourself that you want to see or are you feeling pressured from friends or society to become a certain person? It’s important to narrow down the goals you’ve set for yourself and make sure you’re doing them for YOU.

Second, make a resolution with a friend! If you both want to stay in shape, make a pact to hike together once a week or to hit the Rec every other day. Whatever it is, working together towards similar goals will keep you focused and motivated and can cheer you up if you’re feeling discouraged.

Lastly, keep a calendar and mark off dates when you did something towards your resolution. I keep a large, write-on calendar on the wall and mark a big “X” when I go to the gym. If there’s an “X” missing, I know I need to go work out. It can really help to keep a visual reminder nearby for days (or weeks!) when you’ve got a lot going on.

I hope these simple tips help you work on those resolutions! Good luck and happy 2015.

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu