Healthy, Delicious Spring Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Spring is almost here! This time of year, some of the best fruits and vegetables come into season, which is why this is my absolute favorite season to cook. There is nothing better than using fresh produce in your recipes, and living in San Luis Obispo, we have access to the best food California has to offer. It’s so fun to hand-pick the produce you use in your meals at the famous Farmer’s Market. Here are some of my favorite springtime recipes that use fresh, seasonal produce that can be found at the Farmer’s Market.

One of my favorite salads is best in spring because it is when the ingredients are at their peak. This recipe comes from the It’s All Good cookbook by Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen.

Mexican Chopped Salad with Mexican Green Goddess DressingServes 4

For the salad:2 fresh ears of corn, shucked2 hearts of romaine, finely shredded (about 5 cups of lettuce)½ cup cooked black beans (use half a drained and rinsed 14-ounce can)½ cup chopped tomatoes (or ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes)4 scallions, white and light green parts only, very thinly sliced1 ripe avocado, diced¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro

1. Steam or grill the corn until it’s cooked through. When it’s cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cobs and set them aside (discard the cobs.)

2. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and dress it with ¼ cup of the dressing (recipe below), giving it a light coating. Divide the lettuce among four plates or place it on a large platter. Over the lettuce, evenly scatter the beans, tomatoes, scallions, avocado, cilantro and reserved corn.

3. Drizzle each portion with another tablespoon or 2 of the dressing and serve immediately, with the remaining dressing on the side if you or your guests like your salad more heavily dressed.

Mexican Green Goddess dressingMakes 1 ¼ cups

2/3 cups sheep’s or goat’s milk¼ cup cilantro2 scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice½ green jalapeño, roughly chopped (you can use more or less, whatever you prefer)½ cup extra virgin olive oil½ teaspoon coarse sea salt1 tablespoon raw honey or xylitol

1. Combine all the ingredients in a powerful blender and blitz until completely smooth.

Keeps well in a jar in a fridge for up to a week.

Asparagus is especially delicious in the spring, so make sure you take full advantage of this nutritious and delicious veggie! This recipe is from Roberto Martin’s cookbook, Vegan Cooking for Carnivores.

Creamy Grilled Asparagus SoupServes 8

1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil1 teaspoon high heat oil such as safflower or grapeseed oil2 leeks, cut in half lengthwise, then cut again crosswise into ½-inch strips2 garlic cloves, crushed8 cups broth made from Better than Bouillon No Chicken Case or Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base1 large Yukon gold or other yellow potato, peeled and choppedKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

1. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the olive oil.

2. Heat a grill pan until it is smoking hot, or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the asparagus until evenly charred.

3. Heat a large soup pot or small stockpot over high heat, add the high heat oil and wait until it shimmers. Carefully add the leeks and cook, stirring until translucent.

4. Add the asparagus and garlic and cook 1 minute more.

5. Pour in the broth and add the potatoes.

6. Simmer the soup, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes. Allow the soup to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

7. Puree the soup in a blender until extremely smooth. Allow the blender to run at least 3 minutes.

8. Ladle an 8- to 10-ounce portion into each of eight soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with chopped chives.

Another fresh, veggie-packed recipe that is sure to satisfy those hunger pains is this crowd-pleaser from The Vegetarian Bible.

Mediterranean Vegetable BakeMakes 4-6 servings

2 tomatoes, sliced1 small red onion, sliced1 medium zucchini, sliced1 small eggplant, sliced1 small yellow squash, sliced1 large Portobello mushroom, sliced2 cloves garlic, finely chopped3 tablespoons olive oil2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves2/3 cups dry white wineSalt and black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of oval casserole or 13×9-inch baking dish.

2. Arrange slices of vegetables in rows, alternating different types and overlapping slices in pan to make an attractive arrangement; sprinkle evenly with garlic. Combine olive oil and rosemary in small bowl; drizzle over vegetables.

3. Pour white wine over vegetables; season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

I hope you try out these awesome recipes. They are all vegetarian, delicious, healthy and use spring seasonal produce. Enjoy and happy cooking!

I am a journalism major here at the amazing Cal Poly. My goal is to get paid to travel. The ultimate dream job would be to work for National Geographic or a magazine similar to that. I caught the travel bug when I went to China my sophomore year of high school. Since then I have been to Costa Rica, Spain and France. I hope to add to my list this summer and then maybe study abroad with Cal Poly. I love everything that has to do with the outdoors. I enjoy hiking, swimming, biking and yoga. I love writing and am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.