Gourmet Chef & Feminist: Andrew Bui ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Andrew Bui, a business administration senior, is the guy everyone wants to be friends with. He’s always smiling and flashing those pearly whitesand it’s not just his exterior that’s attractive. We discovered all sorts of cool things about him, like he’s a frequent half-marathoner, ex- (and possibly future) Londoner, talented photographer and artist, gourmet chef, and feminist. 

HC: What are you involved with on campus?
Currently I juggle my time between giving tours to prospective students as a PolyRep University Ambassador, and being a member of Alpha Kappa Psi, one of the professional business fraternities on campus.  I also chair a student advisory board for Kennedy Library.

HC: What’s the best takeaway you’ve gotten from your activities?
That feeling of accomplishment from doing a lot of things can be great, yes, but the biggest takeaway I found over my past few years is that having a packed schedule and a packed resume does not equal success.  Making people feel awesome as a result of what you do? Now we’re talking.  It took me so long to figure this out, but living a life where you’re “all in” means doing what you love, occasionally getting your ass kicked in the process, and helping other people out along the way.

HC: What’s something most people don’t know, or wouldn’t expect, about you?
I think most people don’t realize that I’m a pretty strong introvert.  There’s a misconception that to do things like be an ambassador for Cal Poly or to be outgoing and engaging with people is something only an extrovert can do, but I’ve learned that you just need some ordinary courage and a level of acceptance with your quirks and imperfections to do such things. 

For me, the moment Friday hits I always look forward to spending vicious amounts of time either in the kitchen, binge watching Netflix, or photographing and exploring SLO on my own.

HC: What’s your favorite Inc. article you’ve ever read?
Asking me to pick a favorite Inc. article is like asking me to pick a favorite child (assuming I had children of course).  If I had to pick a top one or two however it would be 50 Inspirational Quotes to Boost your Confidence and Be Happier: 10 Things to Stop Doing Right Now.  One thing I love doing is linking an Inc. article I find interesting and linking it at the bottom of every email I send that day- people really respond to it actually.  Either that or they’re just looking for an excuse to spend 5 minutes not doing what they’re supposed to be doing.  

HC: If you had to cook a girl breakfast, what would you cook?
This would apply to anyone who walked through my door for breakfast, but something pretty well thought out and special that makes them feel really special.  There’s one brunch I make where you take belgian waffle batter that’s been lightened with egg whites, and fold in lots of herbs and cheese before cooking it until its crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, before being topped with thick cut bacon, a nice slice of heirloom tomato, and then topped with a runny fried egg with slightly crisped edges.  Not the healthiest of meals, I’ll admit, but that’s why they made lipitor and defibrillators.  I heard a pretty entertaining quotes somewhere of “Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

(On a side note, I do try to balance my eating habits with exercise- I just ran my second half marathon this weekend).

HC: If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
This is actually a tough one for me.  As much as I like sweat pants and an old t-shirt, I will say there is a placebo effect on your confidence that comes from wearing a nice outfit.  I guess for me, it would be a dark blue shirt, a good pair of beige jeans, and a comfortable pair of Sperrys.  (#notmaterialistic)  And then my glasses, because while contacts have changed my life they are also a pain in the ass. 

HC: What’s your dream job?
My absolute dream job would to be a traveling food writer and photographer.  Writing, photography, and spending time in the kitchen where I grew up are extremely cathartic activities to me, and there’s no place where I feel more at “home” then doing those things.  I always wrote those activities off as something to do while I’m not in class, but I really can’t see myself doing anything else full time.  

HC: What jobs are you looking into after graduation?
Right now I have a couple of options on the table, one of them being to return to London with a full time offer, and another to work at a startup here in SLO.  As of now I’m leaning towards the latter and staying here another year, and finally being able to enjoy SLO without having to worry about my midterm the next day.  London is still one of my favorite cities, but I still feel like I owe the place where I grew the most another year.  

HC: Tell us about your summer in London.
I had a fantastic opportunity through my professor to intern in London this past summer for reed.co.uk., Britain’s largest online job site.  A) London is hands down one of my favorite places in the world.  B) London is hands down one of the most expensive place sin the world.

My wallet is still skinny from that trip, but it was an amazing experience absorbing the nooks and crannies of one of the most charming cities in the world.  I just loved trying to assimilate into the way of life there, from how people expertly jaywalk with reckless abandon, to how the pub is a required evening ritual to unravel the tangle of life’s stressors, and to how commuters manage to delicately waltz through the crowds of the underground with considerable grace.  Hey, I even managed to stop wearing flip flops for a while!

While I never cultivated a proper English accent, if I recall I actually think I might have started thinking in an English accent.  

HC: What’s the one thing that should be on everyone’s SLO bucket list?

Personally the one thing I loved crossing off my bucket list was to run one of the half marathons in SLO- there’s nothing better than seeing Jeff Armstrong pass you in a race (but seriously).

But if anything, making sure you spend the limited time you have with the friends you love should be at the top of everyone’s list, whatever activity that may entail.  People are much more inclined to remember you for how happy you made them feel over the A you got on your midterm.

HC: What cologne do you wear?
Completely honest here: I don’t wear cologne.  As a 22 year old, I should probably get on that.

HC: What’s the most attractive quality a girl can have?
Well, if I dated girls, I guess someone who likes long walks on the beach.  But I think in general when you’re looking for a long term partner the best quality you can find is someone who likes you because of you’re quirks and imperfections. He or she doesn’t try to look past them, but instead loves you even more because of them.  Witty sarcasm and smart, thought out humor also are a big plus in my book.

HC: Are you a feminist?
Absolutely.  It took me a while to think about this question, because I feel like today there’s a negative connotation both ways if you say you are a feminist or you aren’t one.  Instead people try to just ignore the question as much as possible, but especially after seeing Emma Watson speak to the UN, I would say that I am a feminist.  

HC: If your life was a movie, who would play you, what would the movie’s title be, and what would the genre be?
Oh boy this is a tough one…  I’ve always been a huge fan of Paul Rudd, and it would definitely be some kind of comedy.  I affectionately like to call my life a joke sometimes.

Edit (11/8/14): A reader pointed out that we were assuming Andrew was straight by asking what he would cook a girl for breakfast and the most attractive quality a girl can have. (Like the truly awesome and inclusive guy he is, Andrew’s answers were gender-neutral.) We sincerely apologize for this oversight. Andrew does identify as gay. When we asked what he would cook a guy for breakfast, he said, “the same thing!” 

In the future, Her Campus Cal Poly will strive to recognize all sexual orientations and identities. 

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu