Five books to read over winter break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Winter break is the perfect time to cuddle up next to a warm fireplace with a cozy blanket and cup of tea — unless, of course, you’re in California and it’s 80 degrees outside, and just the thought of a blanket makes you sweat. Either way, we have three weeks without classes, and we all know you can only Netflix-binge so many shows before you start losing brain cells.

Why not take this time to catch up with a few good reads? Check out one (or more!) of these great books to save you from boredom over break.

1. “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak

This one is definitely on our reading list. Another book-become-movie, the novel hit the big screen this past month. Set in Germany amidst the Nazis, one girl holds onto her love of reading. We’ve only heard good things about The Book Thief, and this great work is sure to draw you in.

2. “Her Fearful Symmetry” by Audrey Niffenegger

Love, ghosts, twisting plots — perfect for a dark, wintry night. Niffeneger (who penned The Time Traveler’s Wife) intertwines the lives of her unique characters with a suspenseful theme, topping it off with a frantic climax. This novel has the right mix of dark feel and thoughtful themes to keep you interested until school starts again.

3. “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” by Mindy Kaling

Kaling’s somewhat autobiographical book has been out for a year, but it’s still worth a read. Her humorous anecdotes and personal stories are immensely relatable, and we’re sure you’ll want to be Mindy’s BFF when you’ve finished her book.

4. “The Hunger Games” trilogy by Suzanne Collins

You can never have too much Hunger Games, and in this case, the books are even better than the movies. If you haven’t read the series, they’re short and addictive — perfect to breeze through in a few weeks. And if you’ve already gotten through them, it never hurts to brush up on your Capitol knowledge (and keep rooting for the hottie of your choice!).

5. “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen

This is much more than a classic love story. Once you adjust to the old-English style of writing, you can follow strong-willed, determined Elizabeth Bennet as she defies all the stereotypes surrounding women in her time. It’ll have you rooting for Darcy and Elizabeth the entire time. You’ll be addicted.

This post was contributed by Kayla Missman, a sophomore journalism major.