The Face Essentials That Will Give You Great Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We’ve all been there—that pimple that seemingly takes up your entire forehead, the sunburn on your nose that peels just in time for the first day of class or even the hardening of your eye lashes when you remove mascara that has been on for an entire day. Whatever your facial disaster may be, we want you to know that you are not alone. There is a solution that will help keep your face healthy without breaking the bank! Using these simple five products listed below, you can take better care of your face without stripping it of its natural oils and help yourself prevent breakouts.

1. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

This face wash is for all skin types. It is a mild, non-irritating cleanser that softens your skin the moment you apply and helps it retain needed moisture. In addition, it rinses off fairly easily and allows your skin to breathe. Cetaphil maintains your skin’s protective oils and strips residue that will clog your pores.

2. Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover

Effective yet gentle, the Neutrogena makeup remover is strong enough to remove waterproof mascara. It does not leave an oily residue either, like other makeup removers. The aloe and cucumber extracts soothe the skin, while the oil-free liquid takes off the makeup without tugging, pulling or stinging. It’s easy to use with a simple cotton ball and only a small amount is needed. Rinse with warm water after.

3. Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner

The toner is a substitute to using rubbing alcohol on your face, which dries out the skin’s naturally producing oils. While using rubbing alcohol is an effective way to rid your face of pimples, it is very strong and dries your skin out more quickly. Using an alcohol-free toner will preserve the healthy oil your skin produces while still zapping pimples.

4. Aveeno Sunscreen

The most important product for your face is sunscreen. Before you leave for class each morning, apply a dose! While it may not seem sunny out (we’re all familar with those foggy SLO mornings), your skin is constantly battling the UV rays. According to health central, most people don’t use enough sunscreen. A person should use one ounce of sunscreen to cover an exposed area. You may need more or less depending on your body size. Aveeno Natural Protection Lotion Sunscreen forms a protective barrier on top of the skin that scatters both UVA and UVB rays. The skin-soothing oats are designed for sensitive skin. It is also hypoallergenic and oil-free.

5. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes

These are a must-have in a backpack or purse, especially when you’re on the go or  being active. It is an easy makeup removal, cleaning your skin instantly on the spot. The wipes are effective, gentle and quick. I always bring these when I go work out or if I know I am going to be running around for a long period of time. They come in small travel size packets, which are a lifesaver. 

So if these aren’t in your cosmetics bags already, definitely give them a try. Easy, breezy, beautiful–HC girl!

Samantha is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly. On campus, she is a staff writer for the Mustang News, editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, a board member on the American Marketing Association and plays intramural soccer. She loves to write, wear pajamas and re-watch episodes of The Office on Netflix. She aspires to have a career in broadcast journalism or law and hopes to someday travel around the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu