Everything Your Jewish Friend Wants You to Know About Hanukkah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

One of the biggest traditions in Judaism is the asking of questions, and nothing raises more questions for our gentile friends than Hanukkah. It is Hanukkah or Chanukah? Do you really dip latkes in applesauce? Have no fear – here is everything your Jewish friend wants you to know about Hanukkah:

1. What we’re actually celebrating

Hanukkah commemorates the reclamation of the Second Temple. When the Maccabees led a group to cleanse and rebuild the land, there was only enough oil to burn for one night. Miraculously, the oil lasted for eight days. It’s really a celebration of light, featuring the Maccabees as the MVP.

2. It’s not our most holy holiday.

Because of its commercialization, Hanukkah gets a lot of attention in the US. But Yom Kippur is generally thought of as the most sacred day of the year. Yom Kippur follows the Jewish New Year and a period of introspection, and is also known as the day of atonement.

3. Or the “Jewish Christmas”

Thanks to the O.C.’s most adorkable resident Seth Cohen, the term Chrismukkah has been popularized recently. And while that’s totally kosher, you’ll have to ask your friend how things are done in their family. For some people, the more holidays the better! But for other families Dec. 25 is just the day before the 26.

4. It doesn’t start on the same day every year (we know, it’s confusing)

Holidays are based on the Hebrew calendar, which is lunar so the exact dates vary year-to-year! Think of it as how Thanksgiving is on the fourth Thursday of November, rather than consistently on say the 24.

5. We don’t mind if you spell it differently.

Seriously, don’t stress about whether to put a ‘C’ at the beginning! The different spellings are a product of trying to replicate Hebrew sounds in the English alphabet.

6. Don’t feel like you need to get us a present.

​Definitely wish your friend a happy Hanukkah – but you don’t have to do anything beyond that. We really do just appreciate you remembering that we’re celebrating a holiday. If you do want to get a little something, chocolate coins (gelt) are a safe and tasty bet.

7. Of course we love Adam Sandler’s Hanukkah Song, it’s a classic!

No matter the holiday, don’t be afraid to ask questions! Like I said, they are kind of a big deal in Judaism, and just taking the time to show that you care means a lot.

Lexi is a fourth year Sociology major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She is a big fan of frequent flier miles, hiking, black tea, and Giants baseball. She is also proud to be a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus.