This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet our latest Campus Celebrity: Erica Hudson, Internet Beauty Guru

Sophomore Erica Hudson is a journalism major with a passion for makeup and beauty. During her freshman year, Erica decided she wanted to share her interests with others by creating a YouTube channel about makeup. This week, she sat down with Her Campus to explain her love for makeup artistry and what inspired her to put her content out into the world.

Her Campus: When did you start getting interested in makeup?

Erica: I just got really into doing my makeup in high school, but it wasn’t until my sophomore year that I really started practicing it as an art. I looked deeply into products, skin care and the application of makeup. After that, I gained some experience by doing makeup for high school dances, a fashion show and sometimes even for my Guard Team.

HC: What made you choose YouTube as a way to showcase your talents?

Erica: I chose YouTube because it is such an open community for beauty gurus. It allows each beauty guru to bring something different to the table. Although it’s quite difficult to break through as a “popular” YouTuber, it’s a supportive community nonetheless. Right now, I just don’t really have the time to make one video every day, and I know that stunts my popularity on YouTube to a certain extent. But it’s still an excellent way to learn about makeup and reflect on my own skills.

HC: What kind of content do you have on your channel?

Erica: Right now, I mainly upload makeup tutorials and product hauls and reviews. There are so many videos I’d love to film, but it’s hard to find ample time to put out the best possible content while working and being a full-time student. I hope to soon give my YouTube channel the attention it deserves.

HC: What’s your go-to makeup look?

Erica: My favorite look is either crafting a gradient eye with different blushes, paired with a deep red lip, or a smoked out red and bronze eye. I love deeply contoured cheeks, contrasted with a shimmering highlight on the cheekbones, smoked out eyes, and bold lips. Basically, most fall makeup trends.

HC: Where do find inspiration for your looks?

Erica: I gain inspiration from famous makeup artists, celebrities and looks I see in everyday life. My favorite makeup artists are Steffanie Strazzere and Alex Box. They have a very unique style and really push the makeup envelope. People often think that being a good makeup artist means being a perfectly skinned girl who wears a neutral eye and some blush and just looks really good in it. While there’s nothing wrong with that, for me, makeup artistry is about taking risks and executing a creative vision.

HC: When you’re not making videos, what can we find you doing on campus?

Erica: When I’m not doing makeup videos, I’m either marching with the Mustang Band or DJ-ing for KCPR. If I’m not on campus, you can find me at the Woods Humane Society crying over cats.

Photo Credit: Ian Billings

HC: What’s your favorite thing about living in SLO?

Erica: My favorite things about SLO are the experiences it’s given me. Meeting people from all over the place has opened my eyes, which I’m very thankful for. I’m not a fan of the country lifestyle or the Greek Life, but SLO does have a lot of hidden gems that I appreciate, like its coffee shops, thrift stores, animal shelters and beaches. I just wish it had better makeup shopping!

HC: If you could spend an afternoon with anyone in the world, who would it be?

Erica: It would hands down be Tim Burton. He is the biggest inspiration I have. As an artist, he has shown me that no matter how hard it gets, I have to keep fighting for my passion. As a person, he has shown me what it means to stay authentic and true to myself. And as a filmmaker, he has given me the greatest source of inspiration not only in how to live my life, but also in how to create, whether it is in makeup or fashion. I cannot say enough good things about that man. My love for him is boundless.

HC: Celebrity crush?

Erica: My male celebrity crush is Johnny Depp. My female celebrity crush is either Katy Perry or Aubrey Plaza.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

Erica: In five years, I see myself already graduated from Cal Poly and hopefully doing freelance makeup while working somewhere like Sephora, Mac or even a beauty counter. Hopefully I’ll have my own cute place with my ferret, Violet, and some cats. I’ll probably be in either Portland or Seattle. I see myself being happy and eager to learn more about makeup artistry.

Subscribe to Erica on YouTube here!

Hi! I'm Melanie VandenBerghe. I'm a second year english major at Cal Poly with a passion for literature, art, and film. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I serve on the executive board of the Cal Poly English Club and am an active member of Greek Life. In my free time I enjoy netflix, good food, and occasionally going outside.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8