Drinking in PCV: A “Safer” Alternative?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Is there any smart way to party? Two of my roommates and I decided to party the smartest way we thought we could, and have some people over in our PCV apartment a few weekends ago. We decided to have this party as an alternative to going to a fraternity party. Although fraternity parties can be fun, we wanted to show our friends that they could have as much fun (if not more) in a more relaxed, safer setting.

I did the whole frat party thing my freshman year and have gotten a little tired of it, so having our own party sounded like a great idea to me. We got two handles of rum, a few liters of coke and some red solo cups; what could go wrong?

The night of our little party (there were only about 12 people) went really well… at the beginning. We played some Cards Against Humanity, enjoyed a nice jam session and those who wanted to unwind with a drink enjoyed a cup or two. My two roommates and I decided beforehand that we were not going to drink because we wanted some sober people available. We thought this would be the smart thing to do in case someone got sick or things got out of hand.

Towards the end of the night someone did end up feeling sick, but a few of his friends stayed with him in the bathroom to make sure he was alright. My sober roommates checked in on him every so often, and he was fine. He just had poured a little more rum in his drink than the rest of the group. We gave him a glass of water and the rest of the group decided that water would probably be best for everyone.

By then, it was about midnight and someone started playing the guitar again. We were all singing and talking about random things when we heard a knock on the door. Long story short, the RAs doing rounds heard us and decided to investigate. In the report, they claimed they heard the word “Fireball” and “glass clinking” and knocked on our door. This claim is a little strange, since we were not drinking from glass, nor were we drinking fireball, but that isn’t important in the long run. We still had alcohol in our apartment and were all underage.

It makes sense that we got in trouble, we did break the rules.

Those who were drinking had to take a three-hour class on a Friday called SAFER and play $65 to do so. The rest of us ended up having to write an essay on why Cal Poly has the alcohol regulations it does. The sad thing is, we were in a safe drinking environment, but now that safe environment has been deemed against the rules. Our CA even told us during our meeting that the school realizes that students drink. Of course they do. Every adult knows that most of those who are underage drink alcohol, partially because they probably did so when they were underage too. This punishment of having to pay for a class suddenly felt unfit for the crime.

What my friends and I have taken away from this experience is that, next time we feel like drinking, it will have to be at an outside source, whether it be at a fraternity party or a house party.

This brings up the question: Is it more important to be safe or stay out of trouble?

We tried to pick the safe option, but now, going out seems best. I went to fraternity parties all the time my freshman year and never once did I get in trouble. Did I feel unsafe at times? Yes. As I walked home to my dorm, did an RA pull me aside and write me up? Nope. Making matters worse, all of the sexual assault cases being reported lately makes going to a fraternity party even more nerve wracking than it already is. I’m not trying to start an argument against Housing, but before punishing those who break the drinking the rules, maybe they should consider our options.

It is an age-old debate, whether doing the right thing is really the right thing. What is the best option? Making sure that while I am drinking I feel safe or not breaking the rules of Cal Poly Housing?

Unfortunately, Housing has to punish us for breaking the rules, but being forced to pay for a $65 “SAFER” class doesn’t seem to fit the crime– we had made an alternative that felt safer for us. I’m not trying to start an argument against Housing, but before punishing those who break the rules on alcohol, maybe they should consider what our other options are.

Sam is an English major and Media Arts & Technologies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She enjoys walking around bookstores, going to the movies, and writing fictional stories that she never seems to finish. She dreams of becoming the next Queen of England and her weakness is donuts (preferably maple-glazed, but she isn't picky).
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8