Creative Recipes for Spring Produce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You can get almost any produce at the grocery store, but how can you tell what’s actually fresh and local from what’s been imported from a country halfway across the world?

Luckily, we’re fortunate enough to live in an area that has an amazingly diverse farmers’ market. This week, wander through the booths at Farmers’ to scope out what’s available right now.

Whether you make it to a fresh market or just the grocery store down the street, be sure to explore the fruits and veggies prime for the taking this season. Instead of picking up the usual basket of strawberries or bag of apples, branch out and try some of these unconventional must-haves for spring.

1. Artichokes

Aside from making the classic spinach and artichoke dip, you can also grillroaststuff, or easily microwave steam this prickly vegetable.

2. Parsnips

Slice and pop these in the oven to make baked rosemary parsnip fries or cinnamon citrus roasted parsnips.

3. Rhubarb

Pies aren’t the only thing you can make with rhubarb. Oven-roast a pan of spiced braised rhubarb, and bake muffinsrhubarb oatmeal bars, and strawberry rhubarb scones.

4. Asparagus

The easiest way to devour these tasty vegetables is to roast them in the oven with oil and garlic or lemon and thyme. If you’re living off the stereotypical college cuisine of top ramen, add chopped asparagus to the broth to shake things up a little.

5. Avocados

These green guys are chock-full of fiber and nutrients. Cut one up into small chunks and add to a salad or slice and put on a sandwich or panini. Better yet, make bacon-wrapped avocado fries!

6. Kumquats

Throw them in your backpack for a quick snack in-between classes. You can eat these little orange-like fruits plain (yes, the skin is edible!), slice and add to salads or make these adorable kumquat cupcakes.

7. Radishes

These pink little bulbs are best sliced and put on pizza or salads. Try this Moroccan radish and carrot salad for a refreshing Mediterranean alternative to mixed greens.

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.