Combat the Patriarchy! – One Women’s & Gender Studies Class at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Do you consider yourself a feminist?

Are you passionate about LGBTQ rights and gender equity?

Do you want to become involved in social and political activism?

If you answered yes, no or maybe to any of the above questions, you should consider taking a Women’s and Gender Studies class! Really, there’s no good excuse not to. Intro to Women’s and Gender Studies, course listed as WGS 201, is offered every quarter and satisfies both GE Area D1 and the USCP requirement. The Intro to Women’s and Gender Studies class covers such topics as: the history of women’s rights, women in the workplace and military, women’s health, reproductive rights, gender violence, privilege and inequality.

But what exactly is Women’s and Gender Studies? Contrary to the popular image of angry Amazon women loudly debating feminist theory, Women’s and Gender Studies classes are open and collaborative spaces for critical thinking and the sharing of ideas where people of all genders and races are welcomed. Women’s and Gender Studies aim to address the complex issues surrounding gender inequality in the context of sociology, psychology, history, ethnic studies and other disciplines. Most importantly, Women’s and Gender Studies challenges students to critically examine current issues, even issues unrelated to gender studies.

If you feel particularly passionate about Women and Gender Studies, a minor is just six courses away! The College of Liberal Arts offers the minor for just 20 core units and 4 elective units. Electives range from English classes focused on female writers, a study of LGBT theatre and even a course about the history of prostitution.

Inequality due to gender, sexual orientation, race, culture, class and religion is still pervasive in modern-day America, and education is vital to understanding the social and political issues we face today. For many, taking a Women’s and Gender Studies class shines a light on previously unseen cultural norms and social institutions that remain unquestioned and unchallenged. After examining the theories of Women’s and Gender Studies, take your newfound knowledge to your friends, family, strangers on the bus and anyone else who will listen! Educating yourself is important, but learning to present your ideas in a clear and assertive (not aggressive!) way to others is arguably more important. The best way to combat the patriarchy is to combat ignorance in one mind at a time.

Sam Snow

Cal Poly

Sam Snow is a biomedical engineering 4th-year who enjoys movies, music, dancing, and making people laugh. She's passionate health, especially mental health, and her friends and family. 
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8