This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Spring is here — once again, us girls have to deal with another season change, meaning more allergies, humidity and havoc on your skin. With beautiful weather, working out and long days of little sleep, we’re going to need some at-home beauty remedies to save our lives!

For a red-free face

If you can’t seem to get the red tones out of your face, look no further.

You will need: egg yolk and lemon juice

Instructions: Mix these together and apply to face. The mixture will begin to feel tight and dry on your skin, but it can be on for as long as you want it to be. This helps relieve your facial redness and also helps keep your pores smaller!

For soft, manageable hair

If showering, swimming and going to beach is wearing on your hair, try this easy avocado mask.

You will need: 1 banana, 1 ripe avocado, 1 tsp. of olive oil

Instructions: Blend all ingredients together and completely cover your hair, leaving it in for 30 minutes. Shampoo your hair well after and rinse with apple cider vinegar.

For greasy hair

If you take showers every day and still fight greasy hair, baby powder is your new best friend.

Snag travel-size baby powder from Target and keep it in your backpack or purse for when you need it most. The humidity and beach weather in San Luis Obispo has a big effect on your hair and tends to leave it more “wet” or greasy. Refrain from touching your hair too often, as that’s another reason it gets greasy. Using baby powder will absorb the oils in your hair, making it look clean and ready for a night out (so you can skip that shower and sleep an extra half hour).

Apple cider vinegar

I could go on and on about why we should be drinking and using this daily. If you’re experiencing random breakouts, heartburn, dry hair or if you have broken blood veins on your body, drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every day.

According to LaurenConrad.com, apple cider vinegar helps regulate your blood sugar levels. This is an essential component for helping your body detox, controlling your appetite, and staying lean! It also helps your body maintain a normal PH balance; drinking more means better immune function, increased energy and clearer skin.

Castor oil

Ever heard of castor oil? If not, this jar of greatness will help you with things you wouldn’t believe were true.

Lauren Conrad talked about the castor oil on her website, highlighting the benefits that will change a girl’s life. It can be found at any store and is really cheap, so it’s perfect for a college budget. If you have old acne scars and want to get rid of them, apply this oil to your face before you go to bed at night. This helps reduce the darkness from any scars you might have and leaves your skin incredibly soft. Castor oil is a great makeup remover, and is also really great for helping your eyelashes grow! If you apply the oil on your eyelashes before bed, they will look fuller in just a couple weeks. Um, hello, that’s wonderful!

I’m going to take my own advice and start doing these remedies more often, and I hope you ladies do, too! Happy spring!

Third year Broadcast Journalism major, future sports reporter. Lover of all things chocolate, outdoorsy, and sports related. If you can't find me, I'm most likely watching Netflix.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.